iphone keyboard...do you like it? is it the best you've used? vertical or horizontal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Nov 12, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

are all modern smartphones autocorrect typing as good as the iphone? how do u hold it, vertical or horizontal...i used to go horizontal...but it's so good that i sometimes just don't even need to look i just push the general area expecting the wrong key but knowing it'll put the right word once i hit space...do you guys look at the keyboard when typing?

2. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I always hold it vertically. It just seems more natural for me to hold it that way. In my experience, it doesn't seem that all smartphone autocorrects are as "good" or "intelligent" as the iOS one.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

The iOS keyboard is the best. Auto correct is very accurate.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Even when I had my Android phone, I used a port of the iOS keyboard.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

6. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

ill use it either way depending on what im sending a message for, facebook, twitter, iMessage, or SMS.

7. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've been using an iPhone since 2007 so I haven't had much experience with other smartphones and, thus, don't know how it compares to those. Also, yes, I do like the iPhone keyboard. I hold mine in Portrait mode as often as possible (some apps, such as the Cards app, require Landscape mode). And yes, I look at the keyboard when typing.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

9. MDTyKe macrumors regular

I actually hate it compared to my Android keyboard. And I don't mean the aesthetics, but it's autocorrect is all but useless. It seems like I consistently have to go back and correct things; obvious errors like 'gello' not made into 'hello' for example. (Didn't happen, but just stating an obvious one)

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

LoVe the iPhone keyboard. I use it in landscape mode since I have fat thumbs. However with the 4s and dictation I hardly ever type any more :)

11. Bizarre. macrumors newbie

Love my iPhone keyboard however blackberry keyboards are the best I've ever used.

12. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I always hold my phone vertically. I never unlock the screen rotation, as a matter of fact. The one thing I wish the iPhone's keyboard would have, though, is Haptic Feedback!! It's the one thing I had on my old Samsung Behold that I wish I could have on my iPhone.

13. xdbuix macrumors 6502

the keyboards about to get upgraded with an android like autocorrect. It's already in the code of ios5.

14. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

iPhone keyboard owns all others. I've had 4 Android phones, and used a billion different keyboards, but nothing was as good as this.

15. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

16. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

how will it be different

17. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Doubt it will be added they use the feature a lot before (and all android phones do) because the way you make sure you hit the key but on iOS you have the sounds (which I like for some reason and hated on my android phones ) and is very accurate I usually text vertically tho , I hate to go to landscape mode to type something and the android autocorrect (the top bar where you'll see all the words) is great but hate the it takes screen space for some reason

18. ECUSnare macrumors regular

iOS keyboard has been the most consistent that I've used, both with autocorrect and response. Android was ok, but could almost type out a whole word without it showing up on the screen.

19. b24pgg macrumors 65816

The iPhone keyboard is garbage. Physical keyboards are infinitely better, and the iPhone keyboard doesn't even have haptic feedback

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Touch keyboards aren't the best. That said the iOS keyboard is very good. But it isn't as fast or as accurate as one of those plastic keyboards on a phone like the enV or similar. However design-wise plastic keyboards are more tacky, so it's a compromise.

21. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Always portrait. It's feels more natural to type and it helps me to type faster.

On the IPhone 4 sometimes there was a little lag on the keyboard but that has now gone on the 4s.

22. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Way better than the android keyboards. As good as a BB physical keyboard - especially the bold touch? Not quite. But it also isn't fair to compare a physical keyboard to a virtual keyboard. Out of all the virtuals I have used,ni would say iPhone is best and I typically use it vertically.

23. jackrv macrumors 6502

I will disagree. I hate haptic feedback, those who I know with Android phones turn it off. I also dislike the blackberry keyboards.

Other than that, I usually use portrait mode to type. I tend to lock portrait mode orientation, so I've gotten used to it. Personally I love the iPhone keyboard. I do wish you could store terms to a custom dictionary but the good far outweighs the bad for me.

24. moogs macrumors member