iPhone keyboard improvements

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So most tech sites agree that the iPhone has one of the best (if not THE best) virtual keyboard out there. That may be true, but there is always room for improvements! What do u think will make it better?

A pet peeve of mine is the limitations of the autocorrect to only apply when letters are pressed. Frequently I will hit the shift key instead of "a" or the spacebar by mistake. Or miss the spacebar when I was trying to hit it. Autocorrect doesn't do anything in these situations.

Also, I wish there was a quicker way to type ": )" and other emoticans or characters. I wish we could simply swipe across the keyboard, left or right, and ten an entirely new "custom" keyboard would pop up. This could include commonly used symbols, sets of symbols, or even entirely new emotions. This swiping could also possible be used to access the secondary and terciary keyboards that are already on the iPhone. I know apple isn't too likely to let us customize our own keyboard, but I think I would like it.

What do u think about that? Anything else you would like to see? Swype? Blindtype?

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

for iPhone -> iPhone texts, get the emoji keyboard. One click on the 'international keyboards' button will show your recently used emoji ...

3. zephxiii macrumors 6502

eh, I don't consider iphone keyboard "the best" at all. Lots of room for improvement, needed improvement.

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

To me the keyboard is perfect already. No changed needed. Except every once in a while I'll press a letter and it won't do anything then I have to change it to landscape. Ehh minor.

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I want cursor keys. Freaking pain in the butt to go back and correct something, and the magnifying glass takes too freaking long to pop up...

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Like what?

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I agree with auto correct if you accidental hit the shift or space bar keys, I'm frequently doing that.

8. jacollins macrumors 6502a

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The iphone keyboard has to be one of the best if not the best virtual keyboard out there. It's so responsive and accurate.

10. zephxiii macrumors 6502

lol exactly. I almost find iPhone keyboard "most annoying".

I play around with different smartphones all the time. EVO 4g with HTC keyboard was great, WP7 was great as well. iPhone keyboard, annoying to use in comparison.

11. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

eh the auto correct for iphone is just sad, i think when i had the first gen iphone before some update i dont remember, the auto correct was much better. i dunno but having a droid incredible and playing with the windows phone 7 keyboards, they put the iphone keyboard and auto correct to shame.

12. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I'm just thrilled with how fast, fun & easy this special keyboard is:

http://is.gd/icKtF

I have it on three of my other smartphones and it's just brilliant.

Too Bad Steve's too jealous to approve it for use on the iPhone.

The creators made an iPhone version & submitted it to Apple months ago. The silence is defining, oh well too bad. Apple users would love it... :)

13. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Either your experience is limited to an iPhone only?

Or the others you've used were really horrible ?

Or you've just told the best joke of the day... :)

Cheers

14. androiphone macrumors 65816

15. anetoiu macrumors member

anetoiu

I'm not texting and sending e-mails too much so the iPhone keyboard doesn't really need improves in my case. I only have to say that I prefer typing in landscape mode when I have some long texts to type because I do it faster.