IPhone Labeling Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rmstulsa, Nov 10, 2008.

1. rmstulsa macrumors newbie

I have an IPhone 3G (16GB)that was manufactured with the wrong back put on it. The phone is a 16GB with an 8GB back and labeling put on it. In the settings it shows it is 16GB all numbers have been verified by my local Apple Store and the were amazed. I wanted to exchange the phone and the Apple rep suggested it might be worth my while to keep it since Apple rarely makes this type of error in production. Any suggestions where to start?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you ever planning to sell the phone? If so, you need to exchange it. That's not something that an E-Bay buyer is going to really understand.

Personally, I know that I'll be keeping my iPhone for at least 2 years, and probably more. The value will be gone by the time I replace it, so I'll never be selling it. If that's the same for you, I'd say keep it. It's a cool mistake to own if you're not worried about re-sale value!

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd say keep it unless there's something else wrong with it. You may exchange it for a properly labeled phone only to get something with a defect that actually affects the phone's performance. Plus, you'll have an automatic reason for an exchange should you get a scratch or something that would not normally qualify you for an exchange. Before the morality police come swooping down about dishonesty--this person *did* get what is technically a defective phone.

It's hard to imagine this making your phone a collectors item or something--defective electronics are commonplace. Phones aren't like coins--where a defect is extremely rare and valuable. But I guess you never know.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'd have to agree that you should return it. It might be an oddity and interesting to you but, to anyone else, it's a hack job. Or you're trying to cheat them.

Still, it's an interesting story.

5. ben5959 macrumors regular

I would try as hard as you can to find something wrong with it. You only paid for an 8gig, but when you return it tell them that its a 16 gig. then they'll give you a new 16gig.

[edit] nevermind, i got that backwards.....
    i would take it back man

6. jlwillia macrumors regular

This brings up a good question. Did you pay for a 16gb or an 8gb? If you paid for an 8gb, I doubt they will give you a correctly labeled 16gb. Also, if you paid for an 8gb, consider yourself lucky to get a 16 gb for the price of an 8gb and keep it.

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I think what the apple rep meant by keeping it is that, since it's such a bad error, it could be worth a lot one day. (Like a misprinted baseball card, etc.)

So while you may not be able to get much for it when the next iPhone comes around and you're trying to sell it on eBay, 10 years down the line it suddenly becomes a collectors item. I'd keep it.

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

9. tylertech macrumors regular

Defiantly keep it! That could be like an collectors item, and it's probably rare :D
    It's not like they make that mistake everyday

10. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I'd take it back. When you end up selling the phone to purchase another, it will bite you in the :eek::eek::eek:.

11. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 3g back cover is available to purchase here for $64.73

[​IMG]

Apple might accuse you of replacing the back cover yourself and void the warranty, I will get it replace or at least have apple put a note on your account, you will never know when you need a warranty repair and a smart APPLE GENIUS figture that out.

12. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

no they wont, because those 3rd party back covers dont have the serial numbers on them.
    ...or does apple still print those on it?