iPhone lag - what causes it ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mappyman, Aug 19, 2008.

1. mappyman macrumors regular

Does anyone know whats actually causing the lag in SMS typing and contact browsing ?

I have a theory that its running out of physical memory DRAM and resorts to using the virtual memory (slow flash storage), thats why rebooting and killing processes removes the lag.

Anyone know for sure ?

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I mean come on... it is a phone for crying out loud. Can we ask of a phone to run an OS like a MBP? It only has a one processor running a bit under 700 Mhz and I believe 128 mb of ram. I think the phone runs pretty darn fast considering. Faster and much more impressive then any other phone I have seen on the market.

3. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Well, when compared to the original iphone running 1.x firmware, the iphone now lags all over the place. I feel that 2.x firmware is junk at this point. Far more buggy for me than 1.0.0 was, even after two updates so far.

I get lag in contacts and it takes a few seconds before I can scroll. Longer load times for the stock apps that have been there since day 1. SMS lag so bad that it's unusable. I have to quit that app and go back in to get it to work right. Some times quitting the app and getting back in more than once.

The whole phone is just slower and it's very noticeable when compared to the original. Also, to add to those problems, apple put in a smaller battery in at the same time as the power hungry 3g and gps features. So now my battery life has been halved and that's with 3g and gps turned off. It's much worse when they are turned on. My iphone will not make it one day on a charge. At some point in the day I have to stick it on a charger.

4. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Wind drag...

5. amarcus macrumors 6502

He who must not be named.

But really: As a hobbyist programmer I thought pretty much the same as the original poster. But frankly the lag doesn't exist in 1.1.4 and seeing as apps can't run in the background and use up valuable memory/processing power... I guess its just down to dodgy programming.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You mean Volde ::smack::

Ouch. OK, that guy.

7. powderblue17 macrumors regular

Well I was thinking the lag was because the iPhone was checking the cloud to see if their were any changes made but I don't really know if this is actually the case or not. I think that adding all the push stuff into the iPhone which wasn't there in version 1 is slowing it down somewhat but that is just a guess.

8. duffer macrumors regular

My new wallpaper.

Great signature. Listening to Bill Hicks right now.

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Memory leak is the most logical cause I think! :mad:

10. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I noticed my phone lags more when I have a certain Winterboard theme installed. Maybe it has something to do with high quality icons/wallpaper. Example: Phiberglass makes my iphone feel more 'snappier' than Softline.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This may have to be my new wallpaper... :)

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Correction: the processor is clocked at ~411 Mhz to conserve battery.

128MB RAM is correct, but I think the phone needs more to keep it from crashing back to the home page. It was a decent amount one year ago with no other apps available, but times have changed.