iphone lags when i block Edge internet

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by elusive90, Nov 22, 2009.

1. elusive90 macrumors newbie

hello guys, i have an iphone 3g 8gb's and i used unlockit.co.nz to block Edge internet so it only uses wifi, but the thing is my iphone gets really laggy (from menus to applications) when i install unlockit... so guys let me know how to fix this i really hate the lagging and edge network

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Why are you blocking EDGE, I guess is the first question. There is another app that can block EDGE, not sure what your app is.

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You can do this yourself without installing anything.

Just restore the phone, then go to Settings - General - Network - Cellular Data, and change the Cellular Data APN login to something fictitious. Restart the phone, check that your changes have been saved.

That's all the app does anyway.

4. elusive90 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys
    @CocoaPuffs: i wanna disable EDGE cos i dont wanna let it run all the time as u know its expensive :)

@Moi un Mouton thanks a lot, but why would i restore my phone? also would this erase my apps and contacts? ;)

waiting for your replies, cya

5. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

He said RESTART, not restore. :) Just press the sleep/wake button and the home button until the silver apple appears, not sliding to turn off. That'll restart it, I believe.

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You're right I did say restore, I said that to get rid of the lagginess. However, if taking unlockit off makes it OK, then no need. Just follow the other bit.

7. elusive90 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, i restored my iphone but it still lags, but i tried to remove unlockit and lags goes away, so i wanted to try the other way you told me although i cant find anything called Cellular Data in my network settings, VPN either, im really lost cos ive been looking and searching the nets for this

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It looks like this on my iPhone:

Attached Files:

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I guess you could achieve the same thing by asking AT&T to block cellular data on your phone number, I believe they can do that.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You want to just use Wifi?

Turn on Airplane mode then turn Wifi back on.

That sounds way easier than everything else you've been trying!

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I had the impression he still wants it to be a phone, could be wrong :)

12. elusive90 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i want to use the phone, im really getting fed up with edge being turned on im gonna try to disable it from my operator :(

13. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

If you turn EDGE off, how will you get calls? Or can you disable the data portion of EDGE only?