Iphone / Laptop / wifi Radiation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gp1, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Gp1 macrumors newbie

http://www.gq.com/cars-gear/gear-and-gadgets/201002/warning-cell-phone-radiation?currentPage=2

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...phone-radiation-wrecks-your-sleep-771262.html

Keep phone by your bed, turned on You will wake up at between 4 and 4.30 am each morning! Of course phones are safe!

Phantom text messages! EMF discharges from your phone.
    Chest pupation's. Vibrations in the pocket.

Headaches/ pressure, while using wifi, or phones.

Skin irritations while using Laptop. Sunburn effect.

Of course phone companies let us believe its all in the mind?? mmm!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok. So? What's your point?

Auto exhaust is likely a carcinogen, and at very least has contributed to countless breathing issues. Our use of keyboards and office furniture has contributed to bad posture and carpal tunnel syndrome. Our reliance on processed foods with preservatives have had countless negative repercussions on our body health.

I could go on.

The point is, nearly every modern convenience we have has some kind of negative effect on our bodies. There are certainly people out there who have had the good sense to avoid modern technology, and good for them. But I seriously doubt you're going to convince many board members to go Amish, so short of that, what's the point of this post? Just to point out one out of the many, many modern dangers? What am I supposed to do? Stop using my cell phone, car, and computer? Sorry, not gonna happen.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And don't forget hot sweat. Serious issue. :rolleyes:

When you've already decided something is harmful, no evidence to the contrary is going to change that. So, OP, avoid this serious issue, by not posting (due to the serious health issue from using keyboards and looking at a monitor). I'm thinking about you.

I had my secretary type this.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If cell phones caused cancer, we'd all be dead by now and the Amish, who would be the only people left on earth, would be laughing their asses off at us.

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

OP, judging by the rest of your posts, can I assume you've been sent back from the future to warn the rest of the world of the dangers of technology?

I thought Ted Kaczynski was still in the clink. Why would he be allowed near a computer (if he were so inclined to renounce his previous beliefs) to post on MR? Weird...

6. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

+1

Gp1, 4 posts, all on Radiation

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, I don't.

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

DOC: Marty!! Put the iPhone down!!!! Don't you know they're bad for you?!? 4:30!!!!

Attached Files:

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can always find companies to do 'research' that will get the result you want. All of the OP's posts are about the supposed dangers of radiation.

10. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

I do, but it's closer to 5:00 and I'm pretty sure it's either my pee cylcle or my gf's dogs' biological clocks going off because that's when they get fed/do their business outside ... two iphones on side of bed though:confused::eek::cool::rolleyes::(:mad:

11. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

This guy I'm sure was happier to have an iPhone, even if it does give you cancer:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2010/01/20/earthquake-survivor-says-iphone-helped-save-his-life/

Not to mention no matter who you are, unless you're living in the cave or mountain buddies with the unibomber, hippies/vegitarians/freegans etc. are not safe from radiation no matter how many iPhones they complain about or cell phones they hide from - the towers themselves emit a ******** of radiation so we're all in the same boat here people.

If you're pregnant, I also suggest duct taping as many cell phones to your stomach as possible while standing in front of your microwave next to your beer refrigerator and meat freezer while running your SUV with the garage doors closed eating twinkies and licking apple skins.

12. jnic macrumors 6502a

Here is a review paper examining 31 studies into Wi-Fi and mobile phone radiation:

http://iddd.de/umtsno/emfkrebs/rubin2005emf.pdf

The overwhelming evidence is that there is no link between these types of EM radiation and ill health.

Bad journalism is not a substitute for good science.

Here's an amusing editorial piece: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/techno...ile-phone-masts-and-health-in-the-news-again/

tl;dr People are idiots.

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm going to start blaming my iPhone each time I get a headache now.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I had the same kind of argument with another guy in a thread in the Community Discussion forum. He kept insisting that iPhone's were causing cancer based on two references he had, which were from non-reputable sources (one was really an advertisement for some quack to sell you special headphones to protect you). I gave him all these reputable sources and told him one of his sources was from a kook/quack, so then he threw down the cancer card (told me his mother or aunt and some other relative had cancer or died of cancer) when he had nothing to reply (I guess to win sympathy?). I told him two of my relatives had cancer, and what did that have to do with iPhones causing cancer. I think it was closed soon after.

Why isn't this thread closed?

15. goodgod102 macrumors newbie

Given that the original GSM Cellular phones emitted much higher amounts of Electromagnetic radiation than any current cell phones do, don't you think that if they were capable of causing cancer that there would have been a huge increase in the amount of diagnosed brain tumors by now? Whether you like it or not, you are being constantly exposed to low levels of electromagnetic radiation in everyday life from TV/Radio broadcasts, cellular networks, wifi networks, etc. Considering the expected life expectancy in most parts of the world has increased since the introduction of cellular telephony, it should be fairly obvious that the low levels of electromagnetic radiation generated by cell phones has little or no detrimental effects.

16. androiphone macrumors 65816

I always find it hilarious that every single manual specifically says "do not touch or hold the device with your hands over the celular aerial" yet the aerial is always placed at the bottom of the device by the microphone which poses the question how do you hold your phone then?

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am a neuroscientist and I know some of the researchers who study the effects of mobiles on the brain. They find a few detectable effects, but they do not appear to be alarmed. Certainly the idea that there is some sort of scientific conspiracy to cover up ill effects of mobiles is fiction. First, not all research in the area is covered by confidentiality agreements. Second, even if there were, scientists typically do not react well to such restrictions and certainly would risk leaking the story if they thought it was a matter of health. Third, any scientist who could establish harmful effects of mobiles would get a lot of positive attention. Having said that, no product can be confirmed to be safe until a generation has lived (and had children) without any harmful side effects. By my reckoning we still have a way to go in this regard to establishing the safety of mobiles, computers, etc. I just tell my kids 'all things in moderation'. I also tell them I prefer that they text me rather than hold their mobiles to their heads to speak.

18. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

This is where I just roll my eyes. Enjoy paying hard earned $ to NOT use your cell phone as a phone.

Don't you think that if there were some immediate danger of iPhones (or any other phones) that they would have been pulled off the market like immediately?

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sure... just like Toyotas.

Seriously, though, it is true that I am cautious by nature and as I wrote above there has been no scientific smoking gun indicating any serious or obvious health risk. However, I just don't see the need to put a microwave source near the brain unless you have to - texting at least gives you some distance between the radiation source and the brain. The same holds true for using a headphone/mic set, but of course then the worry is hearing loss from the high SPL that can be produced by headphones.... :p

20. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, tell me about it. I drive domestic, my fiance loves her 92 Corolla. I'm constantly getting ripped on for not having an import, yet when the brake issue came up she's like "Oh well, it's still better than a Ford or a Chevy!" WTH? How delusional!

21. androiphone macrumors 65816

once upon a time the mobile headphones used to act as an aerial and it used to be worse than holding the headset up to the ear.

[/QUOTE]Don't you think that if there were some immediate danger of iPhones (or any other phones) that they would have been pulled off the market like immediately?

22. jw2002 macrumors 6502

These EMF conspiracy theories just refuse to die. Some people out there act as if iphones are spewing xrays and gamma rays. However, these devices don't emit anything near those kinds of wavelengths, so ionizing radiation is not a concern. Second, the only other way that any EM emission could affect cellular tissue is through heating. However, the power density of iphone or wifi transmissions is far too low to give rise to enough absorptive heating to overcome the heat dispersive capabilities of our cells -- too low by a factor of several million in fact. Consider that our planet generates a magnetic field as strong as or stronger than any fields generated by an iphone or a mac, and last I checked the earth's magnetic field wasn't causing people to drop dead -- unless they read their compasses wrong.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The microwaves from a mobile phone do raise skin temperature by about 0.1 degree Celsius, the heat-dissapating properties of our biology notwithstanding.
    I doubt that this has any more effect than exercising or even taking a hot shower, but the lay public sense conspiracy when they are told a small *but detectable* effect simply does not exist.

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hot showers are extremely dangerous. You can so easily fall and injure yourself. There is also secondary danger from someone flushing the toilet while you shower, which can result in extremely painful injury.