iPhone larger sizes - what about the rest of us?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbrown, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

iPhone larger sizes - what about the rest of us who are happy with the current 5s
    size? Will there be any updates / releases so we can have a phone the same sizes as the current one?

:)

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Just wondering ( assuming! :roll eyes: ) that those of us who do not want a larger phone are going to be left out in the cold.:(

4. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

Hopefully this is not the case. Maybe stick the faster parts in the iPhone 5 body...

5. Chevelle macrumors regular

The market dictates what apple will do. If people who want a smaller phone are the extreme minority then they won't care.

6. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Sadly this! :(

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

IPhone 5S should continue to fill that role perfectly.

8. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

... and soon enough be left in the dust for iOS updates and eventually locked out from even downloading any of the apps on the app store (since they will require the newer iOS updates) :-/

9. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

That will be in over 3 years at the earliest. And this is a long time in tech. Keep in mind, the A7 is a beast...

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This.

5S has another really solid 2 years.
    Chances are, with its m7 coprocessor and 64bit chip, and TouchID... There wont be a single feature the supersized iPhone 6 gets that 5S can't also do. IPhone 6 is going to be all about americanized supersizing it.

11. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm weird but I like my $650 electronics to last longer than 2 - 3 years. The idea of Apple 4.7 the new norm makes me want to hold onto my 5s as long as I can... yet if I do I won't be able to purchase future apps that mandate a new iOS that Apple won't give the 5s.

It's a vicious cycle of first world problems :(

Yeah because that worked so well for us in the past ;)
    [​IMG]

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you want the latest design, it will probably be the larger phone. I doubt you will be able to get a 4" iPhone once the new iPhones come out.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Samsung and HTC make 'mini' versions of their flagship phones, so I suspect that Apple will do likewise. Perhaps it will be a slightly lower spec, but you guys who want smaller screens can't use your phones for too much heavy work anyway.

14. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I think that most people will get used to the larger size. When I went from a 3.7" screen to a 4.8" screen 2 years ago, I thought the 4.8" would be too big. It felt huge at first, but I eventually adjusted to the larger size and now would not go back to a smaller phone.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Unfortunately this. Heck, I actually prefer the older 3.5" form factor (small hands) but I highly doubt Apple's gonna go back to that. :rolleyes:

16. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Me too :(

You could reach everywhere on the screen with just your thumb and not having to move the phone around in your hand like you do on these larger phones. Even w/ the 5s I can't even reach the top right corner without stretching. Not good.

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not really. I fully expect the iPhone 5c to occupy the spot the iPhone 4s is occupying right now. Unfortunately, you'd have to contend with dated hardware.

18. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

If Apple follows the mini-vision, mini specs trend I'd be very disappointed.

I want a small flagship. iPhone 6 and 6 mini - same specs just different screen size; you know. Like the iPad Air and iPad mini.

19. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

At least if they went that route there's hope since the iPad Mini 2 has the same specs as the iPad Air IIRC.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yeah, same here. The problem I have with the 5/5s now is it's too tall to use single-handed but it's too narrow for 2-handed operation. :rolleyes:

21. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Well, why wouldn't the rest of you want a larger phone? You aren't getting any younger and you most likely will be needing glasses to see the 4" screen. So, if you want to stick with the small 4" screen, good for you... I want larger myself. Web browsing is getting difficult on the 5s. For those of you that think that the iPhone is "just a phone" and don't use it to its fullest (photography, games, movies, etc), I see why you want the smaller screen. I use my iPhone more as a computer and rarely actually talk on it. I shoot tons of photos and totally entertain myself with my phone... So yeah, I want AT LEAST a 5-inch screen.

The samsung galaxy S5 is the PERFECT size for me, I just hope apple makes a minimum of 5-inch, 4.7" is not much of a jump (.7"), really? 5.5" is too big, too close to the iPad mini. The larger it is, the easier it is to break and be less portable. Personally I don't think phones need to be as large as 5.5" or larger... Like the samsung mega, that's rediculasly huge!

Einstein said this: "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".

With the young kids (and most of us these days) and theair phones constantly in their faces, it looks like he was right... Wow.

22. cynics macrumors G4

The 5S has gobs of untapped power. It will likely last as long if not much longer then the 4S which has most of the software features the 5S currently has. Come fall the 4S will be 4 years old and still receive iOS 8. I'm not sure what functionality/features it won't get but a 5 year life span is impressive this day in age.

Don't hold your breath for a mini version however. Apple sells there old tech after the new stuff is released. The argument could be made that the 4S is the "mini" of the 5C/5S. For that reason I don't see apple setting up manufacturing for the iPhone 6 mini.

The iPad mini isn't an exception to that either. It's a device designed to fill a market that Apple had no product for.

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Unfortunately the 5S doesn't have gobs of untapped RAM, and that will be its Achilles Heel. Apple took care of the built in obsolescence.

24. iOSaddict macrumors regular

I really hope that they will keep a 4 inch around and improve the battery life on that model. I'd be happy champ. :cool:

25. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I suspect the C line is going to be the new 4" line. This is what I expect to see this fall

IPhone 6C (5S internals with plastic shell) -$99
    IPhone 6 4.7 - $199
    iPhone 6 5.5 - $299

So the 4" will get updated regularly, but it'll always be a year behind with a cheaper shell. A bit disappointing but better than nothing. If this happens, I'm still sticking with 4". Being a year behind isn't a big deal anymore now that Apple CPUs are more than fast enough and I can get used to the 5C design.