iPhone lawsuit wins class action status

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jul 12, 2010.

1. thermal macrumors regular

A lawsuit against Apple and AT&T over their exclusivity contract has been granted class action status, meaning it now includes anyone who bought an iPhone between June 29, 2007, and present day and signed up for AT&T service.

The heart of the class action suit, which was originally filed in October 2007, is whether consumers who entered the two-year contract with AT&T did so knowing that they were actually entering a de-facto five-year contract because that's what the AT&T-Apple exclusivity agreement has been reported to be.

Apple has never publicly stated how long its exclusivity contract with AT&T is, though a five year time period--first reported by USA Today back in 2007--was recently confirmed through court documents related to this case.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20010212-37.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

2. sleyeu macrumors 6502

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

No Sir. That means we should be expecting a $3 check in the mail for our troubles. It also means the lawyers will be $15 million dollars richer.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

[sarcasm]I had no idea I was entering into a contract with AT&T when I signed the AT&T contract. So AT&T is the carrier for the iPhone. First I heard of it so now send me my $3 check.[/sarcasm]

EDITED for Eiddyisgreat:eek::D

5. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Hm, I've been a "Valued (AT&T) customer since 09/13/1997." I'll still qualify for this right?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The fact that you say this makes me think you didn't bother to read anything pertaining to the suit.

The MR crowd is a funny bunch. At best, you will all get to unlock your iPhones at the end of your contract. At worse, ATT will remain on it's charted course of nerfing you from behind wrt what you can do with in and out of contract iPhones.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm not saying this lawsuit is what I'm describing below - but something to think about.

Sometimes lawsuits aren't about money (ha - I know..) What I mean is - money and compensation is important - but what's REALLY at stake is setting a precedent for all cases moving forward. It's about winning a war - not just a battle.

I don't know all the details nor do I know what the ramifications of a "won" case here - but it's entirely possible that it could change the way cell phones do business with their customers. And while we might get $1 or $3 or maybe nothing at all - NOW - it might benefit everyone in the long term. Again - who knows. And I'm not justifying the lawsuit or its merits. Just wanted to throw out there for those "complaining" that any compensation will be miniscule at best.

If you only got $1 now but from now on - you could (for example) unlock your phone anytime and use it on any network - isn't that ultimately better than $100 or whatever compensation in the short term?

Just my .02

8. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i'm pretty sure he was being facetious..... don't be so uptight!

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Edited my post and added sarcasm tags.:D

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

sorry my sarcasm meter was low on batteries. :D

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

You're right. After all, AT&T gave me about $15 for the "slower than advertised" DSL/U-Verse speeds I had purchased from them over the past six years. Maybe a free bumper is in order? /sarcasm

I know much can happen, but I'll settle with being realistic as possible. I can't imagine me, the consumer, getting much from this.