iPhone leather case worth it???

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Gincoma, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Is the iPhone leather case worth the $40 (brown), I never held one with it before. Its up in the air between that and otterbox commuter series in glacier white. It seems the iPhone 5 is more durable the the 4 or 4s so it seems like the leather case will do just fine. Whats your guys opinion on it. If its been disscussed before Im sorry I got my flame suit on :cool:

2. horsebattery macrumors 6502

It feels great and solid - but I don't think it'll protect your phone very well from hard drops. Depending on the color you get however, you may find that it can get dirty quickly. If I have it in my jeans pocket, for example, I've noticed the perimeter of the case slowly becomes blue (I have the yellow case).

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

The glacier otterbox commuter series is nice and will surely keep your phone protected over the leather apple case. I have the glacier otterbox and love it, amazon $25!

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

5. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I had one of the Apple leather cases and I'm returning it -- two days in my pockets and the corners are already wearing out. I don't care about natural changes in color of the leather but its getting worn down from ordinary everyday use. I highly doubt these will stand up to 1-2+ months of use.

6. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm having the same problem with my yellow case as well.

7. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

My opinion is Otterbox (no matter which model) is ugly as hell. No point in buying an iPhone if you're about to hide it in that brick.

The Apple case on the other side fits the aesthetics of the phone and doesn't add too much bulk. It's light as paper actually.

Whether it is durable enough for the every-day-use is a whole different story. I'm a little sceptical.

8. Gincoma thread starter macrumors 6502

Those were exactly my concerns, Thanks guys this helps out alot :)

----------

I want to protect the phone but dont want the bulk, the commuter is not to bad the defender on the other hand makes it huge and uncomfortable

9. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I should add that the Apple case feels amazing and looks great. Its really ashame they didn't coat the leather in some protective coating to make it more durable. Its a soft, natural feeling -- but that makes it very susceptible to wear and tear just from putting it in and out of a pocket on your jeans. :(

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I love the case, but it's more a stylish addon than protection. By this I mean if you drop it, the case is likely to get marred up. I am sure it will protect the phone SOME, but since the phone reportedly doesn't scratch nearly as easily as the 5 did, it's not something I worry about.

It's sexy enough to me that it's worth the $40. I hope Apple keeps making cases. This is by far my favorite case I have ever had on any phone, and at this point, I have probably had about 100 over the years...

11. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i love my blue case. its sexy. Plus it adds virtually no weight to the phone like other bulky cases do. In all the times ive dropped my phone, the screen has always been exempt (its usually been the back glass thats broke). *knock on wood*

Thus i never feel the need for a screen protector. Plus the leather case extends outwards slightly that may protect the screen, but don't be testing that theory.

12. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

How about some people up in the accessory section talking about how the case stains the phone... Anyone else find this to be true? I don't care about the leather wearing out, just don't want my $700 phone to be ruined because of it.

13. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

i like my red one feels great and dont add all that weight that otter boxes do.

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I have the brown one with my space gray iPhone and it's fantastic. Feels good, doesn't add much weight to the phone and so far it's held up very well. You don't wanna get it off the phone too many times, because I can see how it would get looser over time. But so far it's holding up great and I'm happy with it.

15. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Spigen Tough Armor. Much better materials than Otterbox.

16. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

I love mine on my space gray. I went with the black so I'm not experiencing the rapid wear and grime that I've seen recently, moderate use since Monday. Very slim profile, nice grip, lay on the table design.

I highly recommend the black. Other colors, I'm not so sure...

17. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I think the case is worth it. I purchased one with my iPhone 5S and although I sold it after only using for... moments it was great. I just don't like cases on my phone. That said, if I did use a case that would be it.

18. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

The case is supposed to take damage. Its designed to get damaged so your phone doesnt.

19. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Yes the leather does stain, but you can usually just scratch it off. The staining isn't really too apparent though.

20. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Screw it... Just ordered the black one for my Space Grey 5s. It'll be here on the 4th.

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I give it another week or two before we see the top edges worn through the color from taking it in and out of pockets purses.

Does the one year warranty include accelerated wear?

22. big samm macrumors 65816

For me its totally worth it! The thing is so light and thin, you won't even feel you have a case on... Love the texture of the leather, i also took black for my space grey and it looks awesome! Best case ive used so far... One thing that bothers me is its extremely difficult to take the phone out of the case.

23. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

24. Gincoma thread starter macrumors 6502

It literaly wears out that quick???

25. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Black Apple leather is good or Spigen Tough Armor.