iPhone leather or silicon case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Akapplefan, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Akapplefan macrumors member

debating between getting an apple leather case or silicon one. anyone have a preference between the 2?

getting a space grey iPhone 6s. what type and colour looks best?

2. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I've always hated the feel of silicon cases. They can feel ok at first, but after very little use they start feeling really dirty to me.

So I've always preferred leather cases, as they don't end up feeling like the silicon ones.

3. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

The new silicone cases feel different to the old ones.

4. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

I have both for my 6 and it's hard for me to pick one over the other. The leather I think feels the best in the long run and because of that it feels "thinner" to my hands. The leather does wear, and if you drop your phone often or bump it into things you will get small dents or cuts in the leather. The silicone on the other hand can take a beating and won't look as "ugly" but does not feel as great as the leather.

5. Akapplefan thread starter macrumors member

Does one hold its structure better? Reason I ask is that I frequently have to change my SIM card due to travel which means constantly switching the case back and forth

6. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I'd say the leather is better than the silicone. I LOVED my silicone until I notice it started to randomly peel at the bottom. I think the leather would work out better for you aside from the normal wear to the leather.

7. hofnar macrumors regular

hofnar

I had both and my silicon case ended up feeling like I was holding a potato chip. However a friend mine has never experienced this. I think it may just be how my hands are. Mine are kind of... clammy. :rolleyes:

The midnight blue leather is what I've had on the entire time and I think it's great. No pealing. I've dropped my phone a fair few times and the leather has some dings in it, but it's held up well.

8. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Preference is in leather all the way. For protection I've seen drop test on the tube that show silicone protecting the phone better if that matters to you.

9. lsh macrumors 6502

Just went to Apple store to pick up a Saddle brown leather case for my incoming 6s+ and was offered a replacement leather case for my current Product Red leather 6+ case as the edges are worn. Unfortunately, they only have the new cases now that work for both 6+ & 6s+ so I need to find out what color my daughter wants before I switch. No more Product Red.

10. NauticalDan macrumors regular

The leather cases do look pretty nice. I had one for a bit, but switched to the silicone case after a month and used it for the last 11 months and liked it better....

1. It adds a little extra grip when holding the phone.

2. If you drop the phone, it absorbs more of the shock. I don't really recommend testing it, but the phone in the leather case sort of just falls to the ground. In the silicone case, it bounces off the ground a bit. I've heard in some reviews it absorbs more of the shock. But I don't drop my phone all that much anyways - maybe 3-4 times in a year.

3. It stays in my pocket better than a leather case... in the summer wearing shorts, my phone sometimes slips out when naked or in a leather case. With the silicone case, it adds just a little extra grip to be more likely to stay in my shorts. The silicone case still is easy to take in and out of pocket without gripping fabric, but adds just a bit extra grip to stay put in there!

You can't really go wrong with either. They both hold up well to normal wear and tear. I will say though, that the new 6s silicone cases seem to have a bit smoother feel to them, not as grippy. I bought the new 6S midnight blue case today and it is great... I actually prefer it to the leather in the same color.

11. Boardiesboi macrumors 6502

I've read that this year's quality is better than last year's and it doesn't collect lint as much. I've also read that the finish is similar to the Apple Watch sport band.

Can anyone confirm?

I already have a saddle brown leather case but would get the silicone too if it's similar to the AW band.

12. cmsmithatc macrumors newbie

I ordered and just received a saddle brown for 6S+..... gonna return it...personal preference, but just did not like the color as much in person.

13. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

leather better but silicon protects vs drops better for sure.