iPhone left in rain - did I luck out at all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jharvey71884, May 20, 2013.

1. jharvey71884 macrumors regular

I left my iPhone in a thunderstorm last night, it sat for about 12 hours overnight.

Putting it in rice to see what will happen...it was in a Otterbox commuter.

But the one that I'm maybe wondering that I have going for me is - it was dead. No power.

Possible better results since it wasn't on?

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Hope for the best. Leave it in rice for a couple days

Dont touch the phone

Good luck!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It was off the entire time? Why was it even out?

Even still, you need to leave it in rice for a few days for sure and at this point, I would open it up and make sure it's fully dry before you go plugging it in. Not sure if you lucked out. A phone left in a storm doesn't sound lucky at all.

4. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

I came home after being out and about running errands. It died a few miles from my house.

The neighbors were out playing in their driveway with the hose and sprinklers. I literally took the phone out of my pocket and set on the car, to make sure it didn't get wet.

After talking with them for about 20 minutes, forgot it was there. Went inside had dinner and fell asleep early.

Will Apple replace it for the $199 rate? I really can't afford to not have a phone for three days.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

If it was turned off it means there is no possible way it has short-circuited, on the other hand twelve hours before you put it in rice might mean that there is oxidation/rust on components that can eventually cause damage.

If you're not handy yourself, hand it in for a thorough checkup/cleaning before trying to turn it on.

6. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked and it looks like the little water indicator is still silver and not red?

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Keep it in rice for a few days. Don't turn it on,
    Give it time to dry out. Hopefully you'll be lucky, you definitely caught a break that it wasn't on.

Good luck, hope everything works out! Keep us updated b

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Well, there really aren't that many places where water can get into an iPhone... How well does the case you had on cover those openings?

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Apple needs to follow Sony and make a water proof phone. Would be awesome

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It'll prob be ok for a while if u let it thoroughly dry out. As long as it was off, no electrical damage occurred. Leave it off as long as u can and maybe even hit it with a hair dryer. The problem is with the inevitable corrosion that will set in at some point down the road. Rain water is nasty!!

11. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

It's pretty solid.

http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/OtterBox-Commuter-DSC_0006-700x495.jpg

It's two parts - the first being a rubber casing around the phone, then a hard casing. The port would have been closed, and the ear jack would have been closed.

My neighbor said though when it was found it did have standing water on the screen and the case was damp on the inside.

12. hafr macrumors 68030

Oh, well this is a different story :) But I would still recommend making sure all contact surfaces are spotless and dry before turning it on :)

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd say chances are good that it will be fine - since your iPhone was rained on and not submerged.

If not, Apple will replace it for $249 or $299 (can't remember which). Good luck.

14. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple opened up it up, found one little small water bead at the bottom, but all sensors had not been tripped. Describing what happened, they were amazed. The thunderstorms dropped some much rain. It's running fine and because the sensors aren't tripped, if I have any problems now, I can still take it back under warranty.

15. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Customer service like this is why I still remain loyal to Apple.

Glad to hear it all worked out TC.