Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Was going to purchase the matching Lightning dock for the 6s Plus but though it would cause undue stress on the Lightning port of the phone.

Has anyone using one of these experienced any problems with their Lightning port of the phone?

The weight of the entire phone swinging on the port worries me. :eek:

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
I just got one for $20 shipped a couple weeks ago. Didn't really need one, but at that price who can resist a nice place to charge phones?
As for issues, I dont see any except for possibly scratching the port area trying to line up the dock connector.
No leaning weight issues, Apple is good about their engineering. As you can see, the phone doesn't lean back much at all.
Now, if you abuse it or put excessive torque on the phone, then I could see port damage.
7ff1fd39f47364a91d55eae35d2ec551.jpg
5122a98e228899a89769c804de9c2ce9.jpg

Edit: shown is my 6, but my 6s plus was the camera and can assure you it also has no any weight problems.

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Thank you for the reply. Might have to order one.
Where did you get that nice blue wallpaper?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I used one for a while but my cats attacked my phone and it turned on it's side. I also fear the stress it exerts on the on the lightning port. The 6S+ is no light weight phone.

If the port is damaged your iPhone is done

Last edited:

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
Thank you for the reply. Might have to order one.
Where did you get that nice blue wallpaper?
75adfca09bbaf0232399853d5d6bd731.jpg

I almost bought one of these Belkins, as they're cheap on auction sites, but I have seen on YouTube users cutting and grinding the bottom of these docks because their cases don't work with this dock. Are cases an issue?

Last edited:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I used one for a while but my cats attacked my phone and it turned on it's side. I also fear the stress it exerts on the on the lightning port. The 6S+ is no light weight phone.

If the port is damaged your iPhone is done

Do you honestly think Apple would design it and then advertise it as being suitable for the 6S+ if the phone was too heavy and would cause damage? People really baffle me.

ro861

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
I use with my 6s almost everyday for night charging, and I don't have any issue.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do you honestly think Apple would design it and then advertise it as being suitable for the 6S+ if the phone was too heavy and would cause damage? People really baffle me.

Try not to be baffled. I am am sure the phone on the charging base under normal conditions will not harm the phone. The angle the phone sits in the base clearly is not going to put excessive weight on the port. I am talking about the unusual happening and it does happen. People really baffle me!:p

Niico

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2016
I use with my 6s almost everyday for night charging, and I don't have any issue.

How long have you used this dock for - and did you ever have lightning port issues? Do you use the phone when it's in the dock?

ry189

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
How long have you used this dock for - and did you ever have lightning port issues? Do you use the phone when it's in the dock?

I wouldn’t recommend this dock after using it for almost a year. Maybe my use case is a little on the worst scenario side but I use it to charge my iPhone 6s daily overnight. So you can imagine how often my phone sits there, supported only by the lighting port. Well the result is now my iPhone port is loose and any Lighting cable won’t insert fully to the port: there is no loud click sound when inserting cable into the phone’s port, and won’t insert all the way, probably the port got bent after so long sitting on the dock. I learnt a hard lesson trusting the dock and would definitely opt for a back supported dock next time

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I bought a few of these a while back. Fuz doesn't make them anymore but I see a few auctions on ebay.
The dock is nice because: it has a back portion to support the phone, it also has some inserts that allow for cases of various thicknesses as well as case-less phones.

Oh and it also has some coating/covering on the bottom to make it stick in place. It works really well, doesn't move an inch!

https://fuzdesigns.com/pages/everdock

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I bought 3 to put around the house. While it's resting on the dock, there's no issue at all. The problem is when you're docking and undocking your phone. The lightning connecter is at slight angle, so you have to be careful when docking/undocking.

I wish the lightning connector wasn't stiff and had a little bit of give in it like some other docks I've seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.