iPhone Lightning Dock - Bad for Lightning Connector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hooterville, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

Was going to purchase the matching Lightning dock for the 6s Plus but though it would cause undue stress on the Lightning port of the phone.

Has anyone using one of these experienced any problems with their Lightning port of the phone?

The weight of the entire phone swinging on the port worries me. :eek:

2. Skorpio, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

I just got one for $20 shipped a couple weeks ago. Didn't really need one, but at that price who can resist a nice place to charge phones?
    As for issues, I dont see any except for possibly scratching the port area trying to line up the dock connector.
    No leaning weight issues, Apple is good about their engineering. As you can see, the phone doesn't lean back much at all.
    Now, if you abuse it or put excessive torque on the phone, then I could see port damage.[​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: shown is my 6, but my 6s plus was the camera and can assure you it also has no any weight problems.

3. Hooterville thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

Thank you for the reply. Might have to order one.
    Where did you get that nice blue wallpaper?

4. Newtons Apple, Feb 4, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I used one for a while but my cats attacked my phone and it turned on it's side. I also fear the stress it exerts on the on the lightning port. The 6S+ is no light weight phone.

If the port is damaged your iPhone is done

5. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502

spacemnspiff

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

7. Skorpio, Feb 4, 2016

Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

[​IMG]

I almost bought one of these Belkins, as they're cheap on auction sites, but I have seen on YouTube users cutting and grinding the bottom of these docks because their cases don't work with this dock. Are cases an issue?

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

No issues here, use it daily/when I need to charge my phone.

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Do you honestly think Apple would design it and then advertise it as being suitable for the 6S+ if the phone was too heavy and would cause damage? People really baffle me.

10. ro861 macrumors newbie

I use with my 6s almost everyday for night charging, and I don't have any issue.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Try not to be baffled. I am am sure the phone on the charging base under normal conditions will not harm the phone. The angle the phone sits in the base clearly is not going to put excessive weight on the port. I am talking about the unusual happening and it does happen. People really baffle me!:p

12. Niico macrumors newbie

Niico

How long have you used this dock for - and did you ever have lightning port issues? Do you use the phone when it's in the dock?