iPhone Lightning to USB Cable Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jammerz, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jammerz, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

jammerz macrumors regular

I bought this lightning cable from iphoneadapters.ca and being that its one of the higher quality ones that I've come across I decided to give it a review.

The Good:
    Soldering: I've seen some pretty bad jobs in terms of soldering on the lightning port, but this one does good justice to look indeed like a port from the apple store. Really good soldering job.
    Bidirectional: The lightning port does work on both sides.
    Charge/Sync: This cable does sync and charge on both sides.

The Bad:
    Case Friendly: The base of the lightning port is smaller than the other cords I've seen, but it still is too big to fit into most cases. HOWEVER, I took a nail file and I filed down some of the base, and now it works perfectly with many cases (so far Speck Candy Shell, Belkin Grip Shear, Otterbox Commuter, Caze Thin Edge). It's not much that needs to come off, but nonetheless you still have to alter this cable before its worth using.

The Bottom Line: It's a higher quality cable than many of the cables coming out of China. The only real issue with the cable can be fixed with a slight alteration.

Attached Files:

2. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

This is a pic of the iphoneadapters.ca cable (bottom) beside an Apple adapter (top) after I filed down the sides of the base.

Attached Files:

3. jammerz, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

A pic of the lightning connector.

Attached Files:

4. bandityo macrumors member

I did the same thing with my aftermarket cables...now they fit into my slim armor case just fine. Not a big deal

d

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That's not soldering. Those are the connector pins. You can't see the soldering, and it can be dangerous. On these cheaper cables, they may look fine, but the strain relief in the cables is 100% reliant on the soldering junction's strength. I had a cheap cable's positive and negative terminals short out and the cable melted in my hands.

6. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

Right on, my mistake. What I meant was that I've seen some connectors look like they've been glue gunned on. This particular cable looks identical to the Apple cable.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Does it handle analog & USB audio? Description for Apple's adapter:

8. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

Audio does work. I tested it in my friends BMW 1 Series and it pulled up and played the songs without a hitch. Good SQ too.