iphone line out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waterskier2007, Jul 17, 2007.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

this may be a stupid question. but can the iphone output video through the line out port on the dock like the ipod video could?

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

No.

3. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i love everything about the iphone, but that seems stupid to me

4. whyrichard macrumors 68000

it's a video ipod, right? i feel like it should be able to play out to a tv, like the regular video ipod does...

r.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

no, it's an iPhone. Check the box!

6. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Steve Jobs - "The best iPod we've ever made"

7. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

::snap::

8. sanford macrumors 65816

If you want those sorts of features, they want you to buy an iPod, too. Note the nano, which doesn't do video but does do photos, doesn't support TV video out either.

9. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

true, but the video output became a good function with the video ipod, and since the iphone (in some way is a video ipod) it should include it, because steve jobs claimed that the iphone is a phone, internet device, and video ipod all in one

10. sanford macrumors 65816

I don't disagree with you. It would have been nothing to include the TV out circuitry, perhaps increasing cost, but only minimally on a device that is, after all, $500 plus contract for openers. But they want to differentiate product lines and video out is a handy way to do that.

And, you know, I think he said "best iPod we've ever made," but didn't say which kind of iPod. Not defending the end result, just noting that the language of marketing is not often the language of truth.

11. davpel macrumors member

Well, technically there IS a way to do it. How do I know? Just go back and watch the Macworld keynote. As Jobs demonstrated the features of the iPhone, he had it hooked up via some unknown cable to the video screen. Now, I'm sure this was some special proprietary cable created just for that purpose, it it does prove this is indeed possible.

12. sanford macrumors 65816

Easily could have been a special prototype with a composite video out signal on the headphone jack. If they didn't put that jack in the production models, or put a video line to the dock connector, it's not just a feature that is currently disabled, there's no way to do it because the hardware doesn't support it.

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

My receipt: iPhone -- $599

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Steve Jobs "I never said the Nano was the best iPod we ever made" :D:D

Disclamer: made up quote

15. sanford macrumors 65816

I know your fake quote is attributed to Jobs, but are we sure he never did actually say, "The nano is the best iPod we've ever made."? When every he rolls out a new product his tendency is to say, "It's the best [insert product category] we've made." I think Jobs really is a visionary in computing technology, but he's in pretty deep with marketing-speak, too, and always has been.

16. kman34 macrumors member

kman34

Buy an AppleTV...I have one and love it! It is much easier to use than hooking up an ipod to your tv...

Loving my IPhone!