iphone liquid damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phillipsteak, Jan 28, 2011.

1. phillipsteak macrumors member

through a series of events, i ended up spilling wine on my jailbroken iphone 4. im planning on restoring tonight and then going to the apple store tomorrow. the screen doesnt recognize any of my touches. any suggestions of what to do when i go to the store?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. wpotere Guest

Buy a new one. They don't cover spills....

4. phillipsteak thread starter macrumors member

thats what im probably going to do. if it ends with me paying 200 dollars, so be it

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Best suggestion you'll get. Best case you get a free replacement. Worst case it costs you $200. Either way it won't be $500 or whatever a new one sans new contract would cost you.

6. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

+1 Be honest.
    Restore, then tell them the truth about the vino.

8. calcalmx123 macrumors newbie

- the jailbreak.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

The jailbreak isn't illegal, nor germane to the vino incident. So yeah. Restore, then tell them the truth about the vino.

10. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yeah that sucks. A few weeks ago I dropped my iphone in the snow. Thankfully it was still in my leather case and the phone ended up staying mostly dry. I agree that being honest is the best policy. Besides most geniuses at Apple have heard all the lies and they can easily tell when someone isn't being truthful. Plus you never know you might get lucky and get the phone replaced for free.

11. Mcflip78 macrumors member

Just be honest. Alot of forum members have shared their stories of the guys behind the genius bar replacing their phones by just being straight up and telling them what happened

12. phillipsteak, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

phillipsteak thread starter macrumors member

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

Agreed. I got a new logic board for my MBP (about $800) for free when I walked in and told them exactly what happened (dumped a glass of wine on it). I think if they sense you trying to scam them, they will be less willing to help.

Heck, you still may be SOL but it's worth a shot IMO.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Restore it if you can to remove the JB. yes it's not illegal but most rep will do nothing for a person with a jb device. then tell them the truth any other company would tell you are SOL. By another device a full retail worst case Apple is charging $200 replacement for something that is clearly not there fault. good luck