iPhone Lite - Yes or No

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by takenthesmeg, Mar 23, 2009.

?

Will Apple make an iPhone Lite

1. Yes - Based on iPhone 3G hardware specs

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. Yes - Based on a new cut-down platform

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. No

91 vote(s)
    88.3%
  1. takenthesmeg macrumors member

Please Note: Another name for iPhone Lite could be iPhone 3G II

[Updated intro]

From the polls I think it is safe to say the name iPhone Lite isn't popular, and somewhat misleading. However there is some support for the idea Apple will continue the iPhone 3G line even after an upgraded model is released - similar to the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Will Apple continue the iPhone 3G line??

On the Positive
    1. Going forward the hardware will become cheaper to produce. Thus Apple could compete in lower market segments.
    2. Apple can’t easily make money from second hand sales of old models. But a sexy new phone with a warranty and the same features would be attractive to buyers.
    3. Some users might want to stick with the hardware they are used to, but still want a new iPhone (sad, I know).

On the Negative
    1. Apple could be undercutting themselves
    2. Users would then be forced to choose what features they want (could also be a good thing)
    3. Marketing would be more complicated

I will update these pros and cons from time to time.

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

There is an iPhone Lite. It's called ... iPod.

3. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The App store is too new for apple to alienate everyone by making an incompatible iPhone...

That is, if the next iPhone has such drastically improved hardware that any new games/apps designed for it wouldn't function on the old devices, you're looking at a lot less potential buyers of your app.

I think Apple would only be improving things enough to make everything a little faster, and maybe to handle video better.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

This is why we'll know about a new iPhone LONG before it is released - or even officially announced. Every app developer will need sufficient time to redesign their applications (and some apps will undoubtedly require more time than others). Apple will also have to develop a two-tier App Store, which will take more than a few months to develop. This is why I believe that if there is going to be a new iPhone (with significant changes to the hardware) we'll (by virtue of Apple having to tell certain parties about it) know at least a year beforehand.

5. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Ah, well I hope Apple continues to make better/faster equipment. But LITE?
    I am trying to do MORE with my iPhone, not less...

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

@Brien and milani:

This could be said for every iPhone from here forward. So does that mean Apple will never improve the iPhone beyond it's current capabilities?

I think the opposite. Of all companies, Apple is the quickest to kill off a great product in order to move forward with an even better product. There are of course other reasons the next iPhone could be substantially better without us knowing.
    1. There are rumors of a premium App Store, which could actually be for a premium iPhone.
    2. Apple has already introduced hardware that allows apps which exclude 1st gen iPhones - GPS. Trying to install The Oregon Trail on a 1st gen iPhone reports that the app won't run on this hardware. Finally, Apple already announced the some features (MMS, I believe) won't run on first gen hardware. So if there are already minimum requirements being introduced for some applications, why would Apple limit the hardware they would build?
    3. Apple has already shown that they'd rather create something like Rosetta to keep compatibility than not move forward.
    4. It doesn't matter. The improved iPhone would easily run all older applications so the entire eco-system still exists. After the device is shown, developers could start coding for the new device but with backwards compatibility, it nevers skips a beat.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Bring on the Nano threads! :rolleyes:

never saw the lite

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Why would it take a year? The App store started from scratch and it hasn't even been a year, look where it is now. You are saying that it would take longer than that just to expand it?

Every time they bring devs on stage in the keynote it's to wow-zomg us with how fast they put their app together. Some, of course, were ports from other platforms, but that just goes to show how little advance notice they will need. If they can port an application onto an entirely different platform, making apps backward-compatible should be even quicker. It may be a moot point, however, as there will never be a two-tier app store (as in "app store for iPhone X" and "app store for iPhone Y").

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

OP, try searching using iPhone Nano as keywords.

11. takenthesmeg thread starter macrumors member

I think some people are jumping in a little too quickly with a reply here. The idea I would like to explore is whether Apple will rebirth the current iPhone as a "Lite" version once it has been superseded. This is very different from a "nano".

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I'll feed the troll. How exactly is your definition of lite different than the existing non-sense rumor of nano?

13. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

My GOSH. We had THREE months of peace and here you come and ruin it with your iPhone nano (disguised as "lite") crap. :p

It won't happen. It's an idiotic idea given Apple's place in the market.

15. bigchief macrumors 6502a

They shouldn't charge people for 3g service when it's not in their area. That sucks AT&T.

16. diemos macrumors 6502

man, current iphone is already light enough, i mean you can't do multitasks. what you want from LITE? uhm just the keypad?

17. takenthesmeg thread starter macrumors member

Everyone keeps saying a "Lite" version would be a step backwards, Apple moves on, blah blah blah. This is true. My point is that when Apple inevitably releases a new more powerful iPhone (iPhone HD anyone?) then game developers will want to make use of every MHz etc. At this point the "game" changes. There will be two iPhone classes for developers to contend with (unavoidable!!).

My question is this: Will Apple want to compete in this new "second class" market??

Forget cashed up Apple fans for a minute, and consider a 13 year old deciding on a new phone. They can’t afford a new iPhone HD (bear with me) but an old scratched iPhone 3G on eBay costs the same as a new Samsung iPhone rip-off. Apple makes zero dollars from an eBay sale. But a new iPhone Lite (same as a iPhone 3G but thinner and longer battery life) could be priced much more cheaply and get the sale.

Who cares if Apple makes more money I hear you ask? Well they could put this into R&D and make the new iPhone even better.

This is why I think Apple will do this. Thoughts?

18. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

you're talking about an electronic device.

pick any two. you can't have all three.

19. takenthesmeg thread starter macrumors member

Don't forget that over time electronics become cheaper to produce.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

From the past five years of watching them, Apple either doesn't care or hasn't noticed this.

21. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Said the IBM Mainframe in the 1950's...

As for this thread, the OP appears to have completely lost his point due to wording.

Yes, I think that if Apple releases a higher end iPhone then they will retain the current line of iPhones. In other words, iPhone Pro and iPhone (like Mac Pro and iMac) not iPhone and iPhone nano (like iPod and iPod nano). Thinner, lighter, cheaper - yes, over time.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ with Tallest Skil, Apple could care less about anyone saving a buck or two; and yes, electronics over time become cheaper to produce if you started out with a cheap piece of electronic crap....:D:p:D:p:D:p

23. takenthesmeg thread starter macrumors member

So you think we may see a situation where there is, say, an iPhone 3G (Mark II) and an iPhone HD for sale side by side? This might make more sense from a marketing point of view.

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

We might see an updated version of the existing iPhone at a lower price point than the new 2009 iPhone.