Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunshineFires

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
is there any way to stop location services from always being in use when my phone is paired with Apple Watch? It's draining my battery significantly

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
is there any way to stop location services from always being in use when my phone is paired with Apple Watch? It's draining my battery significantly

Does this happen when you kill the Apple Watch app on the iPhone too?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

It's some other app. My watch does not activate my phone's location services full time. I have watch on and phone in hand, and the location triangle icon on the phone is not lit, nor does my battery seem to be draining faster.

3rd party app? Look at the location services settings on your phone and it'll tell you which app is holding it active.

SunshineFires

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I realised it was an app on my phone that was constantly using location services and not the watch. Problem resolved. :)

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Late to the party and have had the watch for less than a day, but I notice this as well...when I turn off bluetooth and disconnect the watch, arrow with border (empty, not solid) goes away. Connect watch series 3 cellular and it comes back. No other apps in background...maybe cause cell?

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
USA

It’s usually the weather app under location services if it just started when you got the watch. You can turn it off without a hiccup on your watch if you have cellular. But if you don’t youll need to leave it on for weather information on your watch. I have cellular so I just keep it on to only when using app. This won’t mirror on a cellular watch so my watch is always showing weather. Hope that helps.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
It’s usually the weather app under location services if it just started when you got the watch. You can turn it off without a hiccup on your watch if you have cellular. But if you don’t youll need to leave it on for weather information on your watch. I have cellular so I just keep it on to only when using app. This won’t mirror on a cellular watch so my watch is always showing weather. Hope that helps.

An old post I know but I’m also experiencing this very same issue.

When my S4 Apple Watch connects to iPhone XS, I get the Location Services hollow arrow in the status bar of my phone ALL THE TIME. When I then disconnect the watch, the arrow disappears.

Do I need to adjust an app on my iPhone or on my watch?

photorob

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Yes I have spent several hours today with AppleCare exactly same problem and no resolution. Only way is to turn watch off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.