iPhone lock screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBX, Apr 25, 2010.

1. CBX macrumors regular

Just wondered what people thought to the chances of seeing an improved lock screen on the next iPhone that shows notification info etc similar to that found on the htc desire etc?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Thats a software improvement that we would have seen with OS 4.0 unless its an exclusive iphone 4 feature (which i doubt). I personally love the look of the desires lockscreen and am constantly dismayed by apples waste of lockscreen real estate. Its something i was hoping os 4 would improve on

3. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

The same chance of seeing bluray on Macs this year.

4. audiosclie macrumors newbie

audiosclie

What were the built in iPhone apps that were missing from the iPad?

Clock, Weather, Stocks

Those 3 apps are coming in the form of widgets for the lockscreen in 4.0. That's my guess anyway.

5. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Very good point. Fingers crossed.

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

this is the one dear things i want...just like a WM device - i want to wake up, see my upcoming appointments and week ahead on the homescreen. Next alarm, missed calls, etc..

7. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

one thing i would want to see that isnt part of the lockscreen but could be considered a widget: put the temperature of your current location on the icon for the weather app

8. Noelmel macrumors regular

THANK YOU!! Exactly! It's so dumb it always says 73 degrees lol. If they can make it change like the calander app has the currant date that would be great!

9. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Apple's announcement of OS4.0 had to be a pre-announcement. Even though Apple *hates* to pre-announce anything.

The pre-announcement was necessary because 3rd party developers need time to adapt to the new APIs. So any feature that affects third parties has already been announced.

But there's plenty of software on the iPhone that is entirely Apple-centric. If Apple wanted to add new features to 4.0 they still could.

I am not suggesting they will, but as long as the new features don't affect 3rd party software, they certainly could roll them out whenever they want. I agree that an at-a-glace summary lock-screen would be a positive feature.

C.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Pocket Weather does exactly this. One of my favorite programs

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    and calculator right?

although I hope you are right and that we end up getting some form of widgets/functionality on the lockscreen, I have 2 things to say on your guess.

1)I remember reading that apple has been asked about this very thing, because there was talk about exactly what you are suggesting. I don't remember the response exactly, but it was something to the effect that those apps just didn't scale up very well on the iPad. they just looked off. There seemed to be no suggestion that widgets were on the way. but take that with a grain of salt...

2) a clock widget? ummm it already tells the time. I don't see how that can be used. so what does that leave us with? weather and stocks. considering how many ppl complain about not being able to delete the stocks app, I don't feel that it a very popular need. a weather widget would be nice.