Iphone: Locked or Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by martinas, Aug 5, 2010.

1. martinas macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new to this forum so please excuse me if my question may sound stupid.
    I've got new Iphone 4 last night with a brand new phone number and contract (Rogers) at apple store. I was told that the sim card will be activated within next couple of hours, it is not active yet though. When I called Rogers they did not have any information about this activation, all they have is just an account number, they did not have the phone number I was given yesterday. My question is, since Iphones come unlocked, does it mean mine will remain unlocked until the card is activated?
    Thanks,
    M.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe its locked to the first simcard you activate it with.
    Or unless you purchase it unlocked from an Apple store.
    Not from a carrier store like rogers. Carriers only sell locked iphones.

3. martinas thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it from the apples store. it was supposed to be activated with the Rogers sim card but it hasn't happened as of yet.

4. ikaveh macrumors regular

your iphone has been locked to Rogers even brfore you bought it, because locking procedure is based on iphon serial number.
    the unlock iphones are the ones that are bought from Apple and have much higher prices :(

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    Im not exactly sure how it works but I think if you pay full price ($600+) for it at an apple store in canada its carrier unlocked.

6. martinas thread starter macrumors newbie

this is not quite accurate. i asked apple representative who set me up if all the phones come unlocked, he said "yes". it gets locked when they put a sim card number under the phone serial number.

i my case he did it all, but the card has never been activated and the provider has no records that this has been done.

that is why i think maybe my phone did not get locked.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it let you inside the homescreen and not stuck on the connect to itunes screen then the iphone got locked/tied up to that carriers system.
    Even though technically the sim is still inactive.

8. martinas thread starter macrumors newbie

the phone let's me do everything, accept phone calls.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok then it's probably already locked to that carrier.