iPhone locked out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanHarris28, Jul 5, 2015.

1. DanHarris28 macrumors newbie

DanHarris28

Hi, I've just brought myself an iPhone 5c and the person that sold it didn't sign out of iCloud and they have forgot all their details to get back into the account is there a way I can remove theirs or do something to get onto the phone?

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

No there is not. The phone is useless... unless the original owner has proof of purchase.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you bought a stolen device.
    Next time before you waste your money at least make sure find my iphone is turned off and do a little more research before, not after you get scammed.
    You are out of luck, you have a useless device.

4. Ternary macrumors regular

I suppose you could have some fun disassembling the iPhone so you can learn how to replace certain components in the future.

Otherwise, like the other posters said, the phone is useless.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Apple added the Activation Lock to iOS 7 to combat the rampant unauthorized reselling of lost/stolen devices. There is no way around this lockout… your only options are to contact the person you bought it from and get (1) the Apple ID login credentials, or (2) your money back. If you bought it from an honest/legitimate seller, they’ll help you out. If you bought a stolen device from a scumbag, you are simply SOL, and you now own a pretty, albeit expensive, paperweight. You might be able to get a refund if you paid for the device with Paypal - just file a claim and see what happens. Otherwise, you are simply out of luck.

So there it is. If it's your device, use the link (https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid) to reset the login. If you purchased the device from someone on eBay or CraigsList or a similar site, take whatever recourse you have against the seller to recover your cash.

In the future, before you buy a used iOS device make sure there is no active Activation Lock enabled that device. Just get either the serial number or IMEI and enter it here. Apple will report the status of the device.
    https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

iphone 5C iCloud locked on eBay should get you around 100$ according to completed listings.