Iphone Locks Up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevin 12345, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Kevin 12345 macrumors newbie

I have had 2 Iphone 16 gb in 2 weeks. Both have frozen while downloading apps - only the apple icon shows and the phone is non-responsive. ITunes doesn't even recognize the phone is plugged into the computer now.
    Do I have to return this phone also? What is going on with these expensive phones?

Can't restore because the computer doesn't know it is plugged in. . .

Thanks.

2. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

The fix for now is doing a fresh restore *in DFU mode* and limiting your number of apps. (only install apps from iTunes...) Google dfu: its hard to get it into this mode....

Edit: good tutorial for DFU mode http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

3. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

has happened to me as well a few times. it sucks....You have to restore your phone as "new phone" and in turn you loose everything saved and all your settings.....Not sure why apple hasn't fixed this yet, hopefully come tuesday this will be a problem of the past. I talked to a apple tech about this and she blamed it on the developers...sure whatever

4. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

This has happend to me also. The way I fix it is also put it in dfu mode and restore. Hope apple fixes this soon.

5. icewing macrumors 6502

How many apps are you trying to install? I dl'd a lot of free apps before I finally bought the phone, had problems, deleted the backup and did a restore (don't remember in what order). Then turned off the "install apps" flag for the first sync, then turned it back on and resynced. There was one app that was giving me problems, seemed to hang on installing it, so I cancelled, deselected that app, and was on my way. Later I selected that app and it installed fine.

It seems to me that the comments I've seen about problems is when people download apps directly to the phone (maybe before syncing the first time? like i did). Since then I've only dl'd from the App Store, haven't had any more problems.

Also seemed to have problems when I installed a lot of apps at once; there's another thread here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=554492 where several people have had this lock their phone up and only way past it was to restore. Bottom line for me at this point is only install a few apps at a time. Good luck, let us know things work out.