iPhone & Long Nails?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Requiemm, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Requiemm macrumors regular

Greetings~

I will be getting the iPhone on 7/11 and leaving Verizon but my wife is waiting until her contract ends on 8/26 at which time she will be getting either an iPhone or a Pearl.

She wants the iphone but is worried about typing on it.. As some of the ladies here might understand, she hits keys with the side of her thumbs due to her nails and is unsure how she will fare on the iPhone.

Do any of the ladies, (or gentlemen to be politically correct), with longer nails have any insight to share?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

The screen will respond if you touch it with the sides of your fingers, but it definitely won't respond if you try to touch anything with your nails!

Can she try out your phone for awhile to see if she can type on it? A friend of mine who constantly wears acrylic nails doesn't have the iPhone for this very reason.

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

my mom has long nails, and hates using my dads iphone because it doesn't respond to the tip of her nail, which is what she is used to using when dialing a phone.

4. iunnohead macrumors regular

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I wouldn't suggest an iphone if she has long nails. My girlfriend can barely use mine for any sort of real typing/texting without getting frustrated.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I get acrylic nails on a semi-regular basis and haven't had any problem adjusting to the iPhone. She should be used to using the pads of her fingers for stuff rather than the tips since that what you have to do to avoid breaking off nails, so with some practice I bet she won't even notice.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Use the nose =p

Actually, just bend the fingers and use any point part of the finger

As to dialing, there will be third party voice dialing app.

8. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I know you don't want to hear this, but:

Have her cut her nails. That's so 90's to keep them long. :cool:

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

+1

10. Requiemm thread starter macrumors regular

That's our current plan. She knows the nails won't work she is just wondering how accurate she will be with the sides/pads of her fingers without the tactile sensation of buttons.

While an interesting idea, it would probably drive her more nuts to have to use a stylus.

Cool, I'll show her this post and also let her practice on mine.

They're actually not that long. Since she's a nurse she's not allowed to have long nails, just barely passt the ends of her fingers. She's just used to using the sides of her thumbs and didn't know if that would translate well.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Can't wait for the 11th!

11. southyde4eva macrumors newbie

Another chick here...I have fairly long nails (not too long--I'm a musician), but long enough to have to use the sides of my fingers. I've had my iPhone for about 10 mos. and haven't had a problem with using it at all. I do a lot of texting and because the phone does so well with accuracy-checking, my nails haven't gotten in the way of any of my conversations. Hope this helps...