Iphone Look-a-likes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darwing, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

okay so since 2007 the release of the Iphone, there has been several copy cats, or attempted copy cats of the iphone. I'm getting sick of people buying a phone that acts like an iphone, only its not. so individualization is dead, nobody can come up with an origional idea themslves, they just try to imitate!

(now its the ipad they are all trying to copy) So I'm sitting in class starting at what I thought was another Iphone, but it was a Samsung... had the same keyboard during texting had the same layout of applications and was roughly the same size screen and same amount of buttons... pathetic, if your going to buy that just get the real thing..

Anyways I want people to post their imitation iphones, I'll start with this one I'm looking at [​IMG]

Isnt there a copyright law that prevents absolute asthetic copying?

2. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

You can't copyright a hardware product but you can patten it.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm confused as to why you would care what phone someone else is using :confused:

So it looks like an iPhone or even acts like one
    How does that impact your phone experience at all?

4. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

your not getting the overall point, I'll dumb it down for you. I love the iphone obviously, but am wondering how these other companies can copy almost everything they have done without repermending.. its annoying to me if I created something and everyone else copied it and basically get sales because its close but cheaper

5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Samsung's next phone....

GT-S5830 2 SPY PIC.jpg

they're getting pretty shameless these days...

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That's my wife's big beef with Android phones. They're really just trying their best to be iPhones. I can't say I disagree either: touchscreen, app based, etc. Apparently Apple's competitors can't be bothered to be original these days; a huge part of why I stick with Apple actually.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

None of those Phones look even close to the iPhone ... so what is the point of this thread?

8. coolguy4747 macrumors member

I don't think Apple minds too much.

9. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I have to agree, Samgsung is guilty of emulating iPhone in every way. I'm also an Android fan but Samgsung cheapens their devices by trying to create "iPhoneish" lookalikes :rolleyes:

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Giorgio Armina has a phone model, wtf? Hell if the phone is half as good as their colognes I'm about to buy one.

Edit: Samsung's the maker, can't say I'm surprised it has that iPhone look to it now. I'll pass.

11. foodle macrumors 6502

"your" != "you're"
    "repermending" is not a word in the English language

If you're going to insult someone on the internet, you should at least use proper grammar and spelling.

Now to the actual point ... copying product styles occurs in all industries (e.g., cars, clothes, furniture, computers, etc.). Ever notice how this year's Fords look like the Mercedes and BMWs from a few years ago? There are leaders who set the style / trends and followers who copy.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Now that is just.......way too much :(

Really Samsung?

13. Highcroft macrumors regular

The Samsung that MarlboroLite posted is clearly copied from the iPhone 4 but I don't think any of the ones you posted would be mistaken for an iPhone.

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I agree with everything you said, but...

http://micgadget.com/5629/iphone-4-knockoff-review/

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Sure, but no one's done that (except perhaps the Chinese). By the way...

The LG Prada you posted a picture of, was announced and sold months before the iPhone was.

The Neonode had all-touch, icon grid, gestures and swipe-to-unlock back in 2002.

The Linux-based phone on the left below was announced months before the iPhone was. App grid, dock and even multi-touch with pinch to zoom.

Attached Files:

16. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The Prada was released BEFORE the iPhone, so who is copying who again? ;)

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I'm digging my new Samsung Focus.
    Looks nothing like an iPhone unless you consider anything rectangular in shape to be a look-a-like.
    WP7 looks nothing like iOS either.

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

just like you copied Small White Car Avatar :D J/K

The LG Parda was announced less than one moth before the iPhone was. Apple surely copy them:rolleyes:

19. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

No, but it clearly illustrates that the design concept is fairly generic to begin with.

20. lapocompris macrumors regular

Foodle refered to trend copy in general, done by reputable companies. Your link is about a fake copy, you may have one of those fake LV purses at home.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

It's a very generic look for an open face touch screen phone. There's only so much you can do.

22. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Apparently I wasnt the only one getting annoyed with the copy cats

[​IMG]

23. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Yeah.. if I was Samsung, Motorola, Nokia or whatever large cell phone company... I would do everything I can to immulate a hot product that is selling by the millions.. Its all about the dollars, keeping up with the trend and taking the piece of pie of the market share. It is very risky and costly to try to come up with something original, unless of course you are guaranteed success.

And quite frankly... that is what these companies are doing.

24. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

You know what they say. "Imitation is the greatest for of flattery" I wish I could design a product that intimidated people so much they had to try every possible way they could to copy it. I probably wouldn't be hanging out on macrumors then so...