iPhone looses Airport Express when playing music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b-rad g, Apr 3, 2011.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Have an Express joined to my Time Capsule network to play music to. The iPhone hooks up fine in the beginning and plays fine for about 5 minutes, but then it starts cutting out and eventually looses the AirTunes icon. Anyone know why it's loosing the connection?

2. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

3. Reefbone macrumors regular

Did it work flawlessly before or are you just getting it set up? Have you assciated it with iTunes?

4. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I have the same set up and the same problem. I hope someone knows. I've been trying to figure this out for months. One interesting thing to note is I moved a few months ago, I had the same set up before and it worked perfectly. Not I have a new internet provider, Primecast, and that is when the problems started. I think it might have to do with my IP address. Before I was on a fixed IP from Comcast, now the IP is no longer fixed. I'm wondering if this is causing the problem.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What does it loose it on, the floor? 'Cause that's just weird...

6. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

This is the first time I am using it so it has never been set up before. Not quite sure what you mean by having it associated with iTunes. I looked under the settings for the Express and it has "Allow iTunes AirPlay" or something like that checked on.

It will connect fine but after about 5-10 minutes it will drop the connection, one time it dropped WiFi altogether and I had to reconnect to my WiFi network.

7. egautreaux macrumors member

mine does the same, just hooked up to the airport express, no time machine involved.

8. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Bump......

Still having this problem. Have done a "Hard Reset" of the Express and still cutting out. Anyone else have suggestions?

9. patp Guest

Have you tried removing the time machine from the equation just to eliminate any variables?

My airport express never drops out ever. I do not use time machine.

I run airport express, apple tv, several idevices, iTunes in my Pc laptop. Can stream audio, video, control apple tv. It all works and never has any issues.

I would also consider taking the express to an apple store and see if it's defective. Hardware can fail or be intermittent.

10. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Will try this tonight. I'll just set up the Express as a different network and see how it does.

Does the Apple Store have a hardware test or something they run on it? How would they find out if it is defective?

11. Reefbone macrumors regular

took me a second... "loses"

12. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Fixed!!!!!

Seems as if I have found my solution to my problem. I used my wife's iphone to stream Pandora to the Express for Airtunes and not one single cutout or loss of signal. So I tried to see all the differences between her phone and mine. First I thought it might be the App itself so I deleted it off my phone and reinstalled. No dice, still cutting out.

Finally I noticed that her Bluetooth wasn't turned on. I keep mine on since I use it everyday at work. I thought maybe the BT being on but not connected to anything was interfering with Airtunes. SUCCESS!!!! I turned my BT off and have been streaming Pandora through Airtunes for the past 3 hours and no cutouts or loss of connection. It's perfect!:D:D

Just thought I would give an update to my problem since some others were having the same situation.