Iphone losing wi-fi connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aygwm, Oct 22, 2008.

1. aygwm macrumors member

Argh. I have a first generation iPhone, non-3G.. Never had any problems. Now all of a sudden, the Wi-fi connection setting turns itself to off. The only way I can enable my iPhone to connect to my Airport base station is to have a hard reset. When on a call, there's no way to simply reset it to connect to wi-fi like I could in the past in the Settings menu. I've restored the unit several times but the problem keeps occurring. I'm up to date on all my software. Now, any time the phone shuts off, it loses wi-fi and can only connect via hard reset. Anybody know a fix? I'm dying on this one.

2. invisigal macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem - my first gen iphone cannot connect to any wifi networks. I have reset everything. I'm thinking there has been a recent software update (or maybe an iphone app) that is causing some sort of conflict, but I can't find any info on this. Can someone help? I'm stuck with the edge network until I resolve this.

3. tDog1868 macrumors newbie

I am having same issue on my original iPhone. Wifi is not working at all. It suddenly couldn't find networks anymore at all, while my 3G and Powerbook find my home wifi network with no problem. I tried resetting network and restoring, nothing has helped. I though maybe it was an app, but I have same apps on both phones for most part and my 3G is unaffected. I am going to Genius bar tomorrow, but i do not have Apple Care plan and am worried they will charge me a lot to get fixed.

4. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

I'm having the same issue as well, connection could have 2 signal bars and then I would just loose the connection for no reason, even though it's still in range.

5. zuoom macrumors newbie

recent phenomenon?

my iphone 2G just had this issue over the weekend.

apparently something went wonky with the baseband. the fix is to flash it using Bootneuter.

http://iphone83.blogspot.com/2008/10/iphone-1st-gen-no-wifi-connection-after.html

read it via : http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2148048

6. zuoom macrumors newbie

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/10/23/apple-replacing-some-iphones-due-to-wifi-issues/

===================

i solve my issue by repeatedly loading a page, stop loading, load, stop, load, stop.

and volia. the internet wifi works again. (dun know for how long though.)

noticed another issue. the battery got drained about 1/4 this morning since the inability to use wifi. usually it's still full bar.

1st gen JB/UL 8G iphone.

looks like a common issue recently.

7. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same issue. I lose wifi in the house, check the network settings, my phone sees my router, but when I go back to Safari, it loses it again. I also went from about half battery charge Saturday night to no charge Sunday morning without using anything. Mine is stock 1st gen 8Gig running 2.1 (5F136)

8. Bjorne macrumors newbie

Is it possible to flash baseband with Bootneuter if upgraded to 2.2 (2G unlocked)?

I'm trying but the iPhone locks up, only open up with a hard reset.

Wifi is very jumpy, goes on/off, works after hard restart, resetting router works sometimes. Having a 3G without wifi problem.

9. MegaEduX macrumors newbie

Yes it is possible to flash with Bootneuter ;)

10. Bjorne macrumors newbie

any explanation why bootneuter get stuck?

11. Bjorne macrumors newbie

Tried it all, downgrade from 2.2 to 2.1 to 2.0.2 to finally 1.1.4 and in the end nothing worked, wifi still jumpy, not stable at all. Given up, bought my wife a new 3G phone and the boy gets the old 2G.

Still curious why so if anyone has any solution I'll give it a try...

Ciao

12. zuoom macrumors newbie

personally, i did nothing.

just clear all network settings via the general setting page.
    then did repeated loading n stopping of a webpage. and my wifi connection was back to normal.

13. Bjorne macrumors newbie

tried that, didn't work for me, been back and forth between firmwares, no success, I'm now pretty sure its a hardware problem, read somewhere Ziphone could make permanent damage, just Ziphon to unlock back at 1.1.4, then quickpwn.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have an iPhone 3G that suddenly doesn't see the Wi-Fi signals at all.
    I live in an apartment complex and I can see my Airport signal plus many of my neighbors locked signals with my wife's edge iPhone and my MacBooks.
    I believe this is a hardware issue, and maybe in my case it was triggered with the temperature changes it is experiencing with current cold winter weather and in house differences.
    Later today I will try the hard reset and if it doesn't work: one more trip to the genius bar.

15. MattJ11 macrumors member

I've suddenly just got this problem to. It won't find any wifi signals.

I've tried everything except restoring.

Grrrrrrr.

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Reset and Restore didn't work. I have the Genius Bar appointment today.

17. MattJ11 macrumors member

Reset and restore didn't help either :(

Don't no whether i can get it fixed either because i'm unlocked.

Thanks

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Mine was replaced yesterday, it was a hardware problem.
    If yours is jailbroken/unlocked just restore it to original condition and got to the genius bar.

19. amboo macrumors newbie

I keep losing wifi signals too

I have been having the same problem on my ihone too, whenever my battery runs out/ the phone gets dead, and i plug in to the charger to get back the power, i see no wifi signals at all, since i live in an apartmental area too, i see a lot of wifi signals every other time, so its not the problem with y router, i believe there's some problem with my phone or there's some hardware issues with iphone in general. and most amazing was last night i lost all wifi signals without even running out of power.
    Anybody got the solution, please help me..