iPhone low battery sound?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I'm at University, and my girlfriend I met here is from China... she bought an iPhone 4 in China, it's on iOS4, not jailbroken... and it made a really weird sound the other day, like a robot kind of dying. I asked her what it was, and she said it does that when it gets low battery...

Is this a feature only in Chinese iPhones... my iPhone has never made a sound when it gets low battery, anyone ever heard of this?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I don't have much experience with non-US iPhones, nor have I ever heard an iPhone make a 'low battery' sound. An interesting addition though.

Also, how does her iPhone work here in the US? Does VZW have agreements to allow Chinese iPhones to roam on their network?

3. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I'm in UK, our networks don't care what phone you use on them:p

4. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That's even more interesting then, as normally in China they utilize CDMA technology, whereas almost everywhere in Europe uses UMTS or GSM.

6. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I get a low battery sound when I hit 10% while on a phone call. I assume this is done to alert you to your phone's imminent death since you can't see the screen while calling. I've never heard it over the speaker any other time though.

7. rkeato1 macrumors regular

Yeah, I've heard that sound for the last 2 years with my 3GS and now with the 4S. Standard feature. It plays when you're on a call and the battery hits 20 or 10%... Can't remember. I love that sound though!

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

This!!!

and thats a great sound! i kinda wish it played it even if you weren't on a call lol

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It only plays if you are on a call when it happens.

It's certainly possible that's never happened to you.

10. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

That's the sound I hear too

11. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I am sincerely considering making a call next time my phone is at 11% battery just to hear this noise.

12. deftdrummer macrumors regular

I have noticed for some time now that my phone will chirp the SMS tone at me when my battery drops lower than 10% out of the speakerphone. Just happened to me 5 minutes ago hence why I'm posting.

This has been happening for months now ever since I got my 4S. At first I would always check my phone, confounded that I didn't have a new sms when I clearly heard the tone.

Now I know what's going on.

13. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

You can enable to make the sound even if you aren't in a call with a tweak called notificator.

You have to be Jailbroken though.

14. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

Why is it so amusing that the iPhone has a low battery sound? Obviously if you haven't heard it before you've never let your phone go dead.

15. deftdrummer macrumors regular

Not really amusing so much as it is curious - as not everyone is experiencing the low battery tone.