iPhone Luminescent Kit from kogadget -_-

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kmvguy83, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kmvguy83, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

kmvguy83 macrumors member

OK,
    First of all, I'm not writing this to promote any sales of this kit.
    So please don't bash me for advertising or anything, this is actually more of a "stay away" than "hurry up and grab it" kind of review.
    I have not searched this forum to see if anybody made similar thread regarding this product or not, but anyways I'm just writing for whoever that's interested.
    Also not a newb, I have past experience in completely disassembling iPhone 4.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1039511
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1256629

Where do I start?

OK, I ordered the kit for second batch and I received it yesterday.
    This is what i got
    [​IMG]
    Pretty nice packaging

First impression?
    kit looks great!

Open up the box and here are the contents
    [​IMG]
    OMG, i immediately go into PANIC.

[​IMG]
    WTF is that light panel??????????
    Here i realize this is NOT an bolt on kit, sigh........

[​IMG]
    this is all you get as far as instructions

you can watch video for how to install, this is NOT for everybody.
    Seller does not warn you how difficult the installation procedure is.
    Their original video on the website is removed, pretty sure because on that original video this kit looked like a 5 min bolt on kit.

If you watch the video you will notice you have to tap positive wire (amber color) to power source on the mainboard.
    This is done with DOUBLE SIDED TAPE!! (OMFG you serious???)
    Double sided tape also works as a insulation (super multi purpose tape!)
    and wire is held on by keeping pressure on the EMI shield (you gotta be joking)
    You already know where I'm going, this is NOT a well designed kit, also NOT install friendly.
    It took me about an hour of adjustments to get the position the wire and apply correct pressure to the wire to make contact.
    This will also be problem when there is a big impact, since "LUCK" and pressure is the only thing holding the wire, if there is impact on the phone, wire might loose contact any day.
    Hopefully I will never drop this phone. yeah, right.....
    This is very frustrating and NOT fun.
    After some patients and "LUCK", panel is working fine with the shield close.

**side note: I also short out the back light twice, luckily, nothing burned or blew up. After removing the battery and putting it back on, back light came back on... phew!! :p **

So I'm all excited and started to mount panel and install the rear panel.
    Here is first look
    [​IMG]
    NICE!!!

Only took 2 seconds to be disappointed once again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SURPRISE~ SURPRISE!!! panel does NOT fit flush!!
    Not only that, it has serious light bleeding to camera lens and flash

At the moment I saw this I was extremely frustrated... -_-
    Sigh, quality of knockoff kit. OEM quality -_-

additional flaw
    Comparing 4S, camera lens opening do not line up... as expected
    [​IMG]
    modded
    [​IMG]
    original

I can't just stop here and give up right?
    So, I started to try out different, I actually came across a fix.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, I applied double sided tape on the rear panel, where the gap was. I also applied foam tape that comes with the kit around the camera and flash. This solves the bleeding and lifting issues.
    Pic of the fix
    [​IMG]
    FIXED!!!!!

Final Verdict
    Do not try if you are short tempered, and a newbie in modding.
    This is NOT for everybody, and NOT a bolt on kit.

I'll probably will use it til i drop the phone hard and light kit looses contact with power source, if that happens, I'm pulling this **** out.

Peace!

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

With 4S' battery life already not as good as 4, I will skip this mod!

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

If you watched any of the install videos or read any of the threads, you would know this is not a bolt-on.

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Looks cool! Keep us posted on the impact to battery life, ok?

5. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

I only came across the vid when i received the product.
    One at their sales page looked as if it was bolt on.

----------

Hehe, i dont use the phone yet, I can't live wo JB, still waitin

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

The video was on their site when they first put on for sale. Plus I'm just buying a bumper if mine has the light leaks.

7. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

when i bought it they only had like short 1 min vid... :/
    also i posted up a fix up there for bleeding and fitment

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

If you watched the video you would know they told you to put the tape around the light panel to prevent light bleed.

I don't have my kit yet and I knew this.

9. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

dont get so offended, i wasnt trying to offend you in any way.
    by the way, if you watched the video , they put tape around to keep panel in place, not to stop bleeding.
    i put it specifically around cam so it helps with bleeding

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm not offended at all. I just dislike when someone doesn't follow directions and complains their product doesn't work right.

BTW: -The surrounding tapes will help to position the light panel and to prevent light bleed.

http://kogadget.com/402/iphone-light-mod-installation-step-by-step-part-2/

11. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

nice instructions, but only instruction i got for the kit was the video, it'll definitely would've helped if this was avail.

how did you find this?

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Google

13. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

14. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

Does it at least sit flush?
    Mine had like a 1mm gap, so i had to revise with double sided tape to close it up.
    it was same for both black panels too btw

15. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got mine the other day and I tried to install. I was under the assumption as well that it was something I had to plug in and not tape wires to places. I got the phone opened and the wires in place, but could not for the life of me get it to work. So I got frustrated, removed everything and put the phone back to stock. I'm not a noob with this kind of stuff but it was pretty difficult putting tape accurately on parts that small

16. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It looks like your camera hole (in the panel) isn't centered with the camera? Is it just the angle?

17. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

That's how the kit fits, doesnt line up.
    1st pic is modded and 2nd one is the original 4s

----------

my thoughts exactly.... i got it working somehow at the end...
    it really takes patients and luck

18. Xiao8ao macrumors newbie

It's "patience".. :p Sorry for correcting your spelling there, it just bugged me..

Thank you for your post! It actually helped me, since there is only a link to the video in the box, none to the step-by-step instructions you linked to.. Those were much better, as they applied to the iPhone 4 I was modding, not the 4S.. The internals do vary too much for just one video to fit both..

My set actually fits flush, no bleeding and nothing! But it was a pain to get everything working the way it's supposed to.. And now that I'm done.. I don't like the plastic panel.. And the white of the Apple logo when it's not lit up.. I don't know.. Maybe I just have to get used to it.. But it just looks fake and not all that nice.. I'll leave it in for now.. In a couple of weeks I'll revisit that decision and see if I don't want to put it back to factory default.. :p

It was fun fiddling around with everything though.. ;)

19. shinydonut macrumors newbie

Great advice on how to stop the light bleeding. I spent an hour trying to figure it out myself before I found your post so thanks for that. While I still have a slight gap, it's way better than before and I can at least "live with it" .... for now.

Other than the light bleeding, I'm also not liking how the Apple logo doesn't light up uniformly. I tried placing the light panel in all manner of positions but ultimately settled for the one that looked the least worst. :)

Not sure if this is just a side effect, but I found the light DOESN'T shut off when I'm charging the phone. I don't see other comments about it so maybe I did something wrong, though everything seems to work normally (i.e. it lights up when emails/messages/phone call comes in or when I use the phone).

I agree that the instructions weren't that great and that it's a little annoying it's not a plug-in kit. However, I think the benefit of a shoddy install is how easy it is to remove should you feel the urge. Imagine if they had asked you to solder the red wire instead of just kludging contact with some padded tape?!?! :eek:

20. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

It says the light stays on indefinitely while charging. Not news.

21. shinydonut macrumors newbie

Just read this from the kit sold by lightmyiphone.com which is likely identical to kogadget's:

22. justinwebb macrumors regular

bought a white kit from them but not sure if i want to install it now lol might just throw it on ebay

23. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

This kit almost makes me wish I still had my iPhone 4, as it was Black and out of warranty, don't wanna attempt this on my 4S, and its white and the white logo bleeds from what I've seen

24. gottafly macrumors regular

I have a white kit for the 4S if anyone is interested!

Just send a pm.