iPhone/MacBook not seeing each other over Wi-Fi at home

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jww062, Dec 1, 2012.

1. jww062 macrumors member

Hi all,

Hopefully somebody here can help me.

I have a Macbook Pro (Mountain Lion, running iTunes 11) and iPhone (iOS 6.0.1). However, these problems have existed when I was using older versions of Mac OS X, iTunes, and iOS).

At home, with both my phone and computer on Wifi, they don't see each other to do neither the Wifi Sync nor the Remote app for controlling iTunes.

However, they work fine when I am at work.

Because it's working on one place and not the other, I'm guessing the problem lies within my router configuration. I'm using a D-Link DIR-651. I've looked around searching specifically for problems with this router and iOS, iTunes, Apple, etc., issues, with no results.

Are there any known ports/protocols that I should specifically look for to open up on my router?

2. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Are you absolutely certain that they are both on the same network, and that one of the devices is not picking up your neighbor's wifi?

I would first verify on each device that they are connected to the correct network, then open your router's configuration page, which should have some sort of "Connected Devices" view, and verify that both devices show up on that page.

3. jww062 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I've verified both are on the same network. In fact, I can view webpages on my iPhone that are hosted on my Macbook on a local 192.168.x.x address in Safari.

4. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

5. jww062 thread starter macrumors member

I've also updated the firmware of my router, and still no luck.

6. jww062 thread starter macrumors member

Today, while I had my Macbook plugged in to my wireless route with an ethernet cable, I had iTunes open and it found my iPhone... still doesn't when the Macbook on wifi.

I'm absolutely sure the Macbook is on the right wireless network.

Given this, does anybody have any ideas?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try another router and see if the problem goes away.

Buy a Netgear or AirPort, D-Link is nothing but trouble in my experience.

8. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I have an issue whereby you can see iTunes with homesharing one minute, but it will disappear, and the same for remote, as well as seeing the ipad over wifi in iTunes. Now either something is timing out, or stopping broadcasting due to inactivity or something, as why else would it work one minute, and not the next? A reboot of the router will normally sort it, but I never had these issues with my time capsule. Any ideas what settings need looking at, or what the issue could be?

9. KnackeRED macrumors newbie

KnackeRED

One thing you could check is if your router has "wireless isolation" switched on, this will prevent communication between wireless clients.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

I have a similar problem where iPhone is seen in itunes, but sync always fails.

Basically iPhone wifi is rubbish for anything except a bit of web browsing. Even home sharing only ever shows 10% of my music.

11. jww062 thread starter macrumors member

I'll check this when I get home. I don't think it's the issue because I can open the webserver on my Macbook from Safari on my iPhone on my Mac's local 192.168.x.x IP address, but it could be that standard ports are opened. Thanks for the suggestion!