iPhone mail.app needs better account switching feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luke1robb, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

The iPhone's mail.app needs to be updated so its easier to switch between accounts, its just unacceptable to go back 3 menus to go back forward 3 menus.... is anyone with me on this?

2. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

I agree 100% on this and even submitted feedback on their website in regards to the issue.

3. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I don't know exactly how they would do it though.... possibly on the bottom of the screen where the updated _____ pm is, they could have your two/three accounts and you could swap through them. It has to be slightly hard to do so it can't be accidentally changed, that would get really annoying.

4. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

Well, they can learn from the Blackberry and pool all messages in a folder at the top of where we would normally select our individual account (like in Mail for the Mac). I rarely have the need to look at an individual account. Getting the email is the most important part.

5. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I think you're onto something here. If they could have each email colored or marked differently in the "inbox" area it would make more sense. But that doesn't seem like it would be something that Apple wouldn't do, or wouldn't look Apple-like. Any ideas on how they could better implement it?

6. sananda macrumors 68020

yes, i'm with you. i would like my two mail accounts to be sub divisions of the inbox just like the way it's done in mail.app on my mac.

7. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

I completely agree. There are two other things that I feel limit the mail app.

1) inability to search. This feature has been added to the contact list, and exists in the mac version of mail and the website version, why not on the iPhone?

2) Non syncing of other folders until you open them. Many times I try to check a folder on my iPhone that I haven't checked for a while (including sent mail) and it has to sync it, as opposed to syncing when it syncs the inbox.

I love the iPhone and using mobile me and exchange has helped a ton, but I'd love to see it improved.

9. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i think a decent idea could be each account has a tab at the top of the screen in a bar above the "inbox" header, although if you have long addresses or a bunch of accounts this could get cluttered

10. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I think the only problem with syncing all folders when syncing the inbox would be that it would take a lot longer. When I check my mail, I just want to know if there's new email. I'll sacrifice the waiting time for the other folders.

11. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Ya, I think this is a good idea, but they'd never do it unless it can sustain multiple (3 or more) email accounts. Good thought, but we'll have to think a little harder.

12. pavvento macrumors 6502

I can see your point if it's on manual, but if you have it on fetch or push it shouldn't be noticeable.

13. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

I like how this is only now being raised as an issue.

14. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I've always been irritated by it, but just never posted it on the forums, what do you think of the issue caitlin?