Iphone Mail App Really Sucks...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacGiver, Apr 15, 2010.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

While I know 4.0 is on its way, I do not know if the following will be possible...or if it is already possible I will apology and call me "stupid"
    I have set up my Hotmail account on my iPhone (I know it is POP blablablabla) and because of POP (Hotmail sucks too by the way) all my mail are UNREAD.

Question is: Is there a way to select all mails and mark them AS UNREAD AT ONCE!

Thanks
    X

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

where it says: New, Delete, Junk, Mark as, Move to in the web interface, directly underneath 'new' there is a check box, click it it highlights all messages on that page, then 'Mark as' 'read' - simple

and it's not the mail app at fault, it is POP, you wouldnt have this problem with imap I'd just swith to gmail if I were you

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure those changes will transfer over to the iPhone via POP. I think that only works for IMAP accounts. To the OP, no I don't think there is any easy way besides clicking the edit button and checking them all and marking them as read from the iPhone Mail app.

4. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Interesting - I also have a Gmail account (IMAP)...so whenever i read/delete/move my mail on the web it is mirrored on my iPhone mail app and vice-versa.

Now i am unsure about th procedure you refer to on the iPhone to let's say select at once 10 emails unread and mark them as read at once. Can you show me a screen shot? I am not willing to mark them all as read on the Gmail web interface but directly on the iPhone mail app...still possible? I don't think so...

5. androiphone macrumors 65816

my mistake I assumed that they were being displayed as unread on the website after you had read them on the iphone. you cant mass select as read directly on the iphone

yes with imap it is reflected on both sides, read on the web it gets marked as read on the phone and vica versa, and with gmail it can be useful because you archive instead of delete it cleans up your inbox but is still accesible in the all mail folder, just set it up like this and not by pressing the gmail icon, and if you use google sync (through exchange) the mail is pushed to the phone

one way is to automatically forward the email from hotmail to gmail and you can set gmail to reply through hotmails smtp servers, if you want it to

6. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

OK thanks - It confirmed what i thought...Mail iPhone App sucks. I hope on the 4.0 i will be able to mass select email and mark them as read, to forward email after a search, set up an out of office, have the hability to have different signature depending on the account i use, see the size of email i receive, etc...etc...etc...