iPhone Mail app: "Send e-mail as" using Gmail IMAP?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daonesteven, Jul 7, 2009.

1. daonesteven macrumors 6502

So this is my scenario. I have a Gmail account that is my main one and use all the time, and I have a University account that I never check separately so I have it forwarded to my Gmail instead. Gmail allows me to reply back to emails sent to my University account using the same address it was sent to, so receivers could see that I replied back using my University account but in reality, I actually sent it using Gmail.

My question is: I don't know how to set this up on my iPhone Mail app. I've basically been receiving all my emails through the Mail app, but going into Safari and using Gmail's mobile site to send my emails instead. Any suggestions on how I can just do all of this through the Mail app? Thanks!

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I don't believe you can do that unless you change the outgoing mail settings.

3. daonesteven thread starter macrumors 6502

Shucks, so Mail app doesn't have a "reply using send to address" function like Gmail does huh.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Well, you can, but not without having it set up as a separate e-mail account. I have my iPhone check 4 of my 6 e-mail accounts, and if I send an e-mail from within any of those accounts, I can send it from any of the others that are in the phone.

I don't know how it could be done otherwise, though.

5. daonesteven thread starter macrumors 6502

this makes sense, except if I want to have my iphone check these 2 email accounts separately, then in order to prevent getting double emails sent to my University account, I have to quit forwarding it to my Gmail, but like I said, I rarely like to check my other University account and would rather consolidate both of these into one email checking.

6. ahaley1986 macrumors member

in mail, click on the cc/bcc line and you can select "from" to use any of your active email accounts to send a message. i just figured this out, but now im trying to figure out how to keep these accounts active on the iphone, but prevent them from checking mail, without creating an error message. I tried to entering the incoming message info, but it still attempts to check and tells me server cannot be found. hope this helps:D

7. darkcanuck macrumors newbie

Option 1: This may or may not work for all email clients, but it worked for me with mobile me and gmail. Go Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > (Primary Account) > Account Info > SMTP > Add Server. Add the server corresponding to the account you want to send mail using. Turn off all other servers and leave the desired server on. Send mail. This has the disadvantage of forcing you to plow through the menu every time you want to change email addresses.

Option 2: Create a new mail account for the address you want to send from. Ensure it doesn't fetch email by going Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Advanced. When you want to send email from this account, there will be a "From" box in the mail app. Pick the other new email address. This has the disadvantage of adding extra mailboxes you may not need.