Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Hi I only use the native mail app. I have it set up to gmail.

I’m always diligent with email management and always delete email.

Opened mail app this morning and all of a sudden I now have 160 unread messages from like 4 months + ago.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't know why the stock email app would be showing you old emails. However, I do know that Google's default for 'deleting' an email is to archive it - not actually delete it.

With Gmail, you have to specifically set it to delete for mail to actually be deleted.

If you've done that and these emails should have actually been deleted and not archived, then possibly something wrong with Gmail?

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I don't know why the stock email app would be showing you old emails. However, I do know that Google's default for 'deleting' an email is to archive it - not actually delete it.

With Gmail, you have to specifically set it to delete for mail to actually be deleted.

If you've done that and these emails should have actually been deleted and not archived, then possibly something wrong with Gmail?

All I do when I manage email on the stock mail app is to trash the emails that I don’t want.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

Something else. Just logged into gmail on my desktop. Says I have 3096 in my inbox!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
All I do when I manage email on the stock mail app is to trash the emails that I don’t want.
Right. And since it's gmail, that gets interpreted as 'archive' and NOT delete.

If you look at the folder list in the email app and scroll down to your gmail you will see an archive folder. All your 'deleted' emails will be in there.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Right. And since it's gmail, that gets interpreted as 'archive' and NOT delete.

If you look at the folder list in the email app and scroll down to your gmail you will see an archive folder. All your 'deleted' emails will be in there.

Do think there’s a delete option but a trash option. The unwanted emails I don’t want I always trash.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do think there’s a delete option but a trash option. The unwanted emails I don’t want I always trash.
Then you already have it set to trash and not archive. That would imply to me that there is something wrong with gmail itself and not the email app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.