iPhone mail rules?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoboCop001, Aug 3, 2008.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I've looked around for answers to some of my questions, but I haven't found anything that leaves me with a 100% sure answer.

Soooooooo here goes...

Does the iPhone support mail rules?

Basically I'm trying to do a work around for push gmail.

Like this...

Mail goes to Gmail. Gmail forwards to Yahoo. In the Mail program, the rules find messages in Yahoo mail that are from my gmail account and moves them into the gmail inbox.

So basically, my iPhone will have my Gmail account on Manual check, and Yahoo on Push. When Gmail is sent an email, it send it to my Yahoo, which shows up on the phone. Then it sorts that mail back into the Gmail.

So if there is no Rules support, is there any way to get push from Gmail?

And no, I'm probably not looking to get MobileMe, otherwise I would have already :D

Though I think NuevaSync is going to support push gmail soon, yes? I'm just about to sign up for their push gmail calendar service.

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

If subfolders are supported can you not just get the GMail emails to be put into a "GMail" Subfolder of your Y!Mail?

And then perhaps create a rule in your Yahoo! Mail to forward a COPY to the gmail, and just not check gmail at all on your iPhone... if that makes sense?

And then I guess you could add a GMail SMTP Server to reply from if you wish to send mail via GMail via your iPhone.

3. poolish macrumors regular

this is what i did at first, forward all gmail to yahoo mail, and just have yahoo push on my iphone, but in my experience yahoo push is ****.
    but yeah you should be able to set up the rule in yahoo mail, you dont need rules on the iphone.

now i forward my gmail to my uni exchange account which is so much better, plus it lets me use remote wipe.

4. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried adding a gmail smtp server to my Yahoo account on the iPhone, but it never asks me to use it and I can't disable the main Yahoo smtp server.

I even tried to delete the Yahoo server, but after I push the button, it just goes back to the list of servers.

Maybe I missed something?

5. in one ear macrumors member

in one ear

no i have come up with the same problem... whatever i do i can't get rid of the yahoo smtp mail settings .. very interested to see if anyone has a work around..
    its driving me insane ..

6. detoxguy macrumors member

I have the perfect workaround....
    Check your email every once in a while.

seems like a lot of hassle and grief just to have your mail icon show a badge when you get an email on gmail.