iPhone makes calls to iPad but can not receive them

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SkyStudios, Nov 21, 2011.

1. SkyStudios macrumors member

SkyStudios

I just set up facetime on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2,
    I succesfully called the ipad using the facetime button on the adress card details,
    But....when calling the iphone from the ipad, no matter what number, it fails.
    I get an error that says ; FACE TIME FAILED, check the number you called to make sure t is complete.

I tried both direct numbers and with country code, nothing worked, still no calls get to my iPhone.

The iPad is on a new iOS 5 while the iPhone is JB iOS 4.3 etc the last version.
    Can anyone with the same combination of devices confirm if it works or not for you?

Cheers

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I could be wrong, and about to make myself sound stupid, but I think you need to "call" an email address (the one used for your apple accounts, used in itunes etc) for the iPad to pick it up. I'm not aware that it recognises a phone number as such. That's how I do it anyway and never have any issues.

Also you could try face timing your phone from the iPad and see what the name comes up as?

3. SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

Thanks for your post, I just double checked to see if I could call the the iPhone to iPad and vise versa, the iPhone to iPad worked but this time when I tried calling the email in the contact from the iPad to iPhone I get the error saying; my contact is not available on FACE TIME at the moment, and the iPhone rings for a sec and cuts off.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Do you have a 2 separate email addresses? 1 on Iphone & 1 on Ipad?

5. SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

Yes

But we both do share one gmail address with a calendar linked, both read mails at the same time I guess, , now I'm wondering if that's the bugger,

Maybe later when i get a chance i will remove the email and calendar off one of the devices or true completely new emails for FaceTime. You may have something.

I'll post asap

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You must have 2 different email addresses on 2 devices. You can use 1 email address on both device for checking emails but not face time because one you use that email address to make call, it has been used and therefore, you can receive the call on the other device.

7. SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

I can't check it now but I don't use the same email on two FaceTime devices, however, it's possible the other devise has the same email int the contact info, I'll see later, I'll post ASAP

Cheers