iPhone making the best of the obsolete

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ert3, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

nothing in the iPhone is actually obsolete yet but allot of it is not up to latest spec.

The wifi does not support 802.11x (which is an extension of the 802.11g protocol) even though allot of other devices do. This would allow the iPhone 108mbs on wifi. Despite this he iPhone is still faster than my wifi portables that do support that standard.

Also I think we have all seen the videos proving that the iPhone takes edge beyond 3g (suggesting other phones failled to fully master its power)

What I am tying to point out is that while the iPhone is a sum of older parts it seems to. Be putting them to better use than overs are with newer tech.

2. jjb0070 macrumors newbie

Nice post. It seems that grammar escapes you.

3. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

ouch, cut aguy some slack I did write the whole thing from my iphone.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think you're talking about 802.11n. My question to you is why do you think that matters at all? 802.11g is 54 mbps; a high speed Comcast internet connection is 8 mbps.

802.11g is far faster than any consumer internet connection on the market. 802.11n is only really useful for transferring stuff over the network, it doesn't really make the internet faster because internet connection speeds are much much slower.

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

6. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

actually no im not talking about n( which goes at 300mbs by the way) I am talking about the 802.11x aegis protocol which moves at a slower 108.

the reason this matters is because every home network is basically a huge collision zone when it comes to wireless. you may think that having over 8 to 10 mbs per second is pointless but really you will never get to use all 8mbs of your comcast connection unless you use fiber optic or cat5e cabling and a compliant modem.

Really until I switched to n on my laptop i never saw speeds above 1mbs if I even got that much download speed moving.

7. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

Just to ram that point home i average 117 to 145 kbs on DL speed (edge)mean while most web pages are about 100 to 500 kbs large so by the logic of well you only need 8mbs networking to use an 8mbs connection it shouldn't take longer than 5 second to load a page and it certainly does not take 100 seconds to load the average web page.