iphone malfunction

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Basema909, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Basema909 macrumors newbie

Hi, i bought an iphone (used) 2g 2 days ago. Some problems have come up.

1. Iphone wont charge on anything but an ICraig dock.
    2. Iphone homebutton wont work
    3. Says connect to Itunes, but when i do itunes, nor my computer sees it.
    4. Can only make emergency calls....

Please help me, anything at all.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I recommend you contact the seller and demand your money back for selling you a nonfunctional device. Was the device working when you got it two days ago? There are some things you can try. One possible solution is to force iTunes to recognize the device. This is called a Forced Restore, however it does not always work.

Forced Restore:
    1) Open iTunes on your computer.
    2) Hold the Power and Home buttons on your iPhone for about 10 seconds or until the screen goes black. (Skip this step if the iPhone is already off and the Apple/Pineapple logo is not present)
    3) Once the screen is black, hold the Home button continuously while you connect via USB to your computer with iTunes open.
    4) Keep holding the Home button while your iPhone is connected until it shows up in iTunes as an iPhone in Recovery Mode.
    5) You should now be able to Restore.

The Forced Restore is only going to solve problem "3" though. However, if iTunes recognizes the iPhone you can do a full restore and it may fix all the problems if they are software issues. All of these could be software or hardware issue, except problem "4".

DPA

3. Basema909 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the reply....

I bought the iphone on the knowledge that it only "had some trouble charging"

When i try to do a force restore nothing happens. When i plug in the cable from my computer, to the phone nothing happens. Im not sure what the problem is.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I would take it back to the seller. Even if he/she told you it had some charging troubles, they didn't say it was inoperable. Still a fraudulent sale.

DPA

5. Basema909 thread starter macrumors newbie

My dad is the one that actually bought it and he refuses to go return it, because he thinks he can fix it.

Thx for trying to help anyway DPA its much appreciated.