Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Work is being done on a MAME port for the iPhone. MAME is the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator that allows you to run old arcade games (provided you have the proper ROM)

galaga_300.png

The project appears to remain very much a work-in-progress:
Project to port SDL MAME to the iPhone. The main cool feature I want to add is configurable layouts for touchscreen controls and crazy gesture based inputs. Whether MAME will actually be playable from a performance and control perspective remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, at this time, while it appears to have been built, controls don't work yet.

Article Link

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
This is truly a sign from heaven. Galaga is my favorite arcade game of all time. 4 years ago, before I bought my Powerbook, I had MAME on my PC and played it all the time.

Rock on.

Now I just need an iPhone.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Imagine playing Robotron or Defender (THE best games ever conceived) on an iphone, I can see a touch screen being great for Robotron especially !

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Very impressive.

I was trying to get some perspective from Geekbench... the iPhone Geekbench scores generally place the iPhone around the 80-100 range. For reference, a P4/1.5GHz is about 500 and the iBook G4/800 is about 430. The oldest G3 Macs listed performs at 177 (400MHz G3).

I know MAME was able to play 80s arcade games on my Pentium 150MHz notebook circa 1997. I would guess that its Geekbench, were it available, would also put it around the high double digits.

The iPhone might just be able to play one or two games.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This is truly a sign from heaven. Galaga is my favorite arcade game of all time. 4 years ago, before I bought my Powerbook, I had MAME on my PC and played it all the time.
Same here. I LOVE GALAGA! :) It's about the only video game I can play. :)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is awesome news, I can't wait for Donkey Kong Jr.! Anyway, what's up with the performance issues? Does SDL not use OpenGL? Seing Cover Flow in action on the iPhone I find it hard to believe it would have a problem with a few sprites on these old games (most of which could be done in < 24-bit color). Or is it the CPU running code that's the bottleneck?

rickbdotcom

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
This is awesome news, I can't wait for Donkey Kong Jr.! Anyway, what's up with the performance issues? Does SDL not use OpenGL? Seing Cover Flow in action on the iPhone I find it hard to believe it would have a problem with a few sprites on these old games (most of which could be done in < 24-bit color). Or is it the CPU running code that's the bottleneck?

http://www.mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php?title=FAQ:Performance

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

This looks promising. Hopefully, we'll see more optimization to make it more feasable.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
this is truely amazing!!!!

bring on metal slug!!!

LOL.

Metal Slug is a powerhouse, it'd be like running a 2D N64/PSX game compared to a NES game (Galaga).

I commend all these efforts to get games on the iPhone. But there's a line between playable and ¨it sorta runs¨. I'm more interested in seeing new games developed for the iPhone that are built for the limitations and benefits of such a system.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
LOL.

Metal Slug is a powerhouse, it'd be like running a 2D N64/PSX game compared to a NES game (Galaga).

I commend all these efforts to get games on the iPhone. But there's a line between playable and ¨it sorta runs¨. I'm more interested in seeing new games developed for the iPhone that are built for the limitations and benefits of such a system.

hahaha a man can dream cant he??? i thout iphone had a 800mhz processor...... u could get somewhere close i spose.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
WOW, NOW I CAN PLAY AMAZING GAMES ON MY IPHONE. I just can't imagine installing something like that into my $600 phone :rolleyes:

Anybody get a version of OPEN OFFICE working yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.