iPhone map question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazonpam, Dec 20, 2011.

1. amazonpam macrumors member

I'm considering switching over to the iPhone 4S 64 gig. But the most used feature of my Android is Google Maps and it's vocal turn by turn directions. Does the iphone Map program do the same? Lack of vocal directions is a deal breaker for me.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not in the built-in app, but I know some of the 3rd party map apps offer that. I don't know which ones but I'm sure someone will tell you their favorite one pretty soon.

3. amazonpam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Glad I asked. I was just about to order a case and charger when the question occurred to me. Will check out the App store and see what I can find. Looking forward to getting ideas. I have until the 6th to decide on my new phone.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There are plenty of cheap/free turn by turn apps for ios.

5. webwbr macrumors member

I don't intend to start a flame war, and this is only my opinion (I know, nobody asked), but there is nothing available for the iPhone that is even remotely close to what Google Maps is like - let alone for free.

Google Maps on the iPhone would too awesome to imagine.

:eek:

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I have found Motion X quite good. I use the voice package which is free for 30 days and then $10/year.

7. GregE macrumors 6502

I've been really happy with Waze. Used it tonight along with a dedicated GPS to get to a granite dealer. Waze took me right there but the GPS wanted to send me a different way and didn't even have me getting to my destination.

8. lissa5168 macrumors newbie

I've been using MapQuest Mobile to test it out, as sometimes hubby has our GPS. It's okay, but nowhere near as good as Google Maps was. I may try out this Waze thing.

9. seajay96 macrumors 6502

What features does Google Navigation on Android provide that TomTom or Navigon don't?

10. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I am testing both Waze and Mapquest. I absolutely love the interface of Waze. I do find though that it has trouble with streets that change names as they change towns (apparently this is common in my state and not in others). It will tell me to turn right then left when I know it's straight. I still need to try Mapquest on one route where I know that happens.

I also had an issue with one of the two (and I think Maps did this as well) trying to send me on an 8 mile highway loop to get to a location when all I needed to do was go down the road, take a right and go UNDER the highway. These are all main roads that have been around for quite awhile.

I have Motion-X but not the Drive version. I am tempted to try that.

I rarely have a need for navigation, but I work in a city once a year that gives me fits driving around it. I usually have 3-4 differing locations to get to and I spend so much time driving in circles it isn't funny (I hate cities!). I am hoping a navigation app will help with that.

The one thing I noticed is even if you do fall for the "turn left" when you should have gone straight, it is very good at recalculting right away.

11. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Google Maps integration. The Google Navigation app is fantastic combined with Maps; outside of that, it's just another turn-by-turn navigator (albeit one that is free).

I have TomTom for my iPhone and it is quite functional; as a turn-by-turn GPS solution it has everything that you'd want. Unfortunately it has no OS integration, so you have to search for locations inside the app itself to navigate to them. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's not as intuitive as the Google navigation package.

EDIT: One nice thing about apps like TomTom is that the maps are physically installed on your device so you're not using data as you drive (except for traffic updates and the like of course). Google Navigation downloads maps as it routes, and caches commonly used routes. Usually the difference is negligible, but if you're in a bad connectivity area you may not get your route for a while. When I was with Sprint this caused me some headaches from time-to-time.

12. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

If you want a free turn-by-turn GPS that is really good i suggest Waze, works really good, and i'm used to navigon on the iPhone otherwise which usually costs "a lot of money", all i can say is that i don't miss navigon.

There is also many many other choices for turn-by-turn GPS on the iOS platform, so you should be able to find one that suits your needs, definitely.

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just went through this as I switched from three years of android to a iPhone 4s. Bottom line, nothing that's free is as good as google navigator. Waze is close but it's not good enought in my area. I bought navigon, it's great but I had to buy both us and Europe versions. It costs a bit and I still had to buy two subscriptions for traffic.

14. amazonpam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks

Thanks for the ideas. I did some checking on line and it appears that the Iphone GPS apps don't compare to the free native Android GPS. Since this is the major use of my phone even more than calls, I can't see changing. I'll just upgrade my iPod for the rest of the stuff I want. Will keep reading about iphone changes down the road in hope that someday they get Google GPS.

Have macbook, ipad and ipod but can't add the iphone just yet.