iphone maps data use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dork420, Jun 3, 2010.

1. dork420 macrumors regular

hey

how does maps work on the iphone? How much of it's operation is using 3g with on the fly operation.

Say I was driving from Montreal to NYC and kept it on the whole time, how much MB would I end up using?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not test it out and see what type of bandwidth is being consumed by taking a drive.

3. dork420 thread starter macrumors regular

Because I don't have any iPhone. Didn't think of that before you added your oh so witty remark, did ya?

4. r3voLoL macrumors member

I would help, but with that attitude I'll just let you find out for yourself.

5. dork420 thread starter macrumors regular

My attitude? If you can't answer the question or don't have interest in the answer why post?
    give me a break.

6. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Pay $40 for a gps app and you wont have to worry about data usage on the maps app.

In answer to your question though, the graphics for the map are rendered locally so its just a db query that gets sent to the phone, that in mind, a trip like that may run up about 100mb but probably nothing north of that. Depends on if you zoom in out a lot and typically how you use it.

I'm pretty sure Canadians have been living with bandwidth caps since the iPhone inception and I don't hear much complaints.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Where have you been? I hear complaints from Canadian users all the time. At least they also get tethering included in some of their tiered pricing schemes.

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Part of my family is canadian, in Cananda, and they get by. Then again, they probably don't fall under the typical use cases for these devices anyway.

They said the typical phone plan up there includes anywhere from 500mb to 1gb to start.

9. r3voLoL macrumors member

:rolleyes:
    1. Go to your favorite electronics store
    2. Go to GPS section
    3. Pick up a decent GPS
    4. Buy it
    5. ????????
    6. PROFIT

10. dork420 thread starter macrumors regular

how old are you?

11. r3voLoL macrumors member

Thats my real answer, the maps app on the iphone doesn't do any turn by turn and if you lose signal its useless. You can use the free mapquest app, but its aweful. If you want to get decent directions and not have to worry about data use, get a real GPS.

12. dork420 thread starter macrumors regular

dude, all I asked is how iphone maps works in regards to data transfer.

not- should I use maps.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well slick, it wasn't any attempt at a witty remark but rather one that I thought would be useful. Given your other sarcastic replies you seem to have an attitude issue. Why not drop it, and look at how people are trying to help

15. dork420 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah everyone on the thread has helped except you.

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Actually, I think maflynn is onto something. Trying it yourself with your phone and your settings will give you the most accurate results.

17. paulyras macrumors 6502

Wow- Testy thread.

I think the answer to the original question is 1) not too much in the AT&T cap scheme of things and 2) Way more than you want to pay in international roaming charges, regardless of whether it's canadian service or US you subscribe to.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No, you actually have a huge attitude and misinterpreted (probably willingly) a perfectly logical response by a member who is known as being helpful on this forum. You're calling other people immature and unhelpful, but you're the one that didn't state you don't currently have an iPhone and has the number 420 in his username. I'm pretty sure if I sent you my estimation for data usage using the maps app through IM to sk8erboi89, you'd probably get it.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Welcome to the internet, you must be new here.

20. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Navigon is on sale through the 11th. $14.99 per region. Going to wait and see what the new iphone offers navigation wise and maybe pick up this up.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Perhaps you could have mentioned that initially. You're attitude is going to take you far here.

22. cabtaker macrumors newbie

you dont know, period. try to look in the mirror and practice saying it sometimes :)