iPhone Maps update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by v2club, May 6, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

Does anybody know when and wether at all google maps update 5.0 (and above) will come to iOS? I mean Apple pays to Google for the maps right?

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

No, it won't, IMO. The iPhone maps app hasn't changed in 4 years, and has not received updates other times.

Do expect to see Apple's own maps/app/navigation in iOS 5 though.

3. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Would be nice to see Street View added to Maps. But I know it won't happen. :D

4. twcbc macrumors member

iirc, Street View had been in Maps since iOS3.

5. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Thanks for the post. I really thought they didn't have it. Just didn't look further into it.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Probably not. That's why you usually see android phones having a nicer Gmaps app than iPhone users.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think what you're missing is that the iPhone's 'Maps' program is not a Google application.

It's an Apple-made program that just uses the map data from Google. The software itself is made by Apple.

So no, I don't think you'll ever see 'Google Maps 5' on the iPhone since it's never had Google's Maps on it before. But you may see the features that you like added to Apple's Maps in the future. But, of course, now we're talking about Apple and we have no idea what their plans are.