iPhone mark 2. Really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ert3, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

is anyone really thinking apple would make a significantly different iPhone within these first two years of realease. That would just send the message that iPhone updates are worthless. Buying one is pointless and apple is going to screw you over no matter what. I don't think they will do that. Really the only way I would find this more plausable if the two year contract was optional. The only way out is to get out in the first month or pay 175 usd. Iphone nano maybe. But an iPhone with 3g or one that exclusively begins mms support just seams like a bad idea on apple's part. Though I fully expect a realease of multi color iPhones

2. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I think that they are so busy making the next iPhone they don't have time to improve this one.

3. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

I am sorry but it seems more likely that apple is going the way of the rest of the industry with episodic contents and software updates. Really there is very little to even suggest that an iphone nano is in the works.

4. everettmarshall macrumors member

Let's hope they don't do that. Any iPhone v.1 user would be disappointed if a new hardware purchase ends up being the only road to the features we all wanted (or even expected) in v.1.

5. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Maybe we shouldn't be so hard on Apple. Perhaps the iPhone was unfinished. They had to delay leopard to get it out on time. Then the engineers had to finish leopard.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

iPhone version 2 is on it's way. I'd say March.

When I say iPhone 2 I mean new iPhones with firmware 2.x. No change in hardware (apart from maybe 16GB).

That date should tie in with the new sandboxed security arrangements for the new third party apps (and launch of SDK).

As for 3G. When O2 have fair to good HSDPA coverage (they now have the maps for this on their site) and the power requirements are sane enough so that the battery lasts longer than two days then I'll jump.

I suspect AT&Ts HSDPA coverage is pretty rubbish too, at a guess.

7. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

'Fraid that's exactly how the technology business works: there's always a company ready to take your money for a first gen product just before releasing version two of said product.

Take a MacBook for instance. People are still buying MacBooks today when it's highly likely they'll see a redesign come MWSF. Same deal with the iPhone. Yes, it's a great product as it stands but Apple isn't going to sit back and say "That's a pretty darn desirable phone, let's leave it on the market to stagnate." When they could be 'screwing over' first generation iPhone customers, just as they did with those that bought MacBooks in 2006. :rolleyes:

If we all judged our purchasing decisions on the fact that there's probably going to be a new revision out at some point, let's wait for that, we'd be pretty technologically impoverished people. Technology moves on, Apple wants your money, life sucks and you're going to be stuck with a first generation iPhone while there's a newer one out.

Hey, you never know, your current iPhone might be considered retro by then. :D

8. SRSound macrumors 6502

you guys are nuts...the iPhone form factor will remain unchanged for at least 2 years. Any hardware upgrades (few and far between) will happen on the board - i.e. upgraded processor, storage, radio etc. It will be treated like any other Apple product (how often does the iPod get a redesign; how often does the macbook get a redesign??)

What WILL change is the software. I cant believe how many people forget the beauty of this device: it is infinitely configurable for any and all applications! The vast majority of improvements to be made can all be done with firmware updates, and THAT'S what we will see

9. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Last time I checked, it's never been redesigned. I blame iPhone, iMac and iPod design business.

10. avalys macrumors 6502

AT&T has confirmed that there will be a 3G iPhone in 2008. I'm thinking it will be just around Christmas 2008. That fits Apple's 12-18 month upgrade cycle well.

Until then, we'll probably just see software upgrades - potentially very significant ones.

AT&T really screwed Apple over by announcing that - I talked to three people over the past weekend who are now waiting for the 3G version before springing for an iPhone.

11. pab277 macrumors regular

At macworld 08' i dont believe steve will announce a WHOLE diff. iPhone. As you said, it would a terrible act on apple's part, but i do think steve will surely announce new features to the current iphone, as well as address the SDK and the 3G iphone issue. And if he does make plans for the 3G iPhone to be released next year, i highly doubt it will be in June like this one was, like someone previously said, it will be around the holidays. But then again, this is Apple, and like previous times, Apple has been known to screw some customers over while releasing new gadgets when the old one isnt even outdated.

12. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

true mac products often have many iterations but this mac product requires you sign a contract saying you will own it for two years. I can sell an old iPod and go to the next one with no reprocusions but if I try that with an iPhone I will have to pay a 175 dollar fee then pray for an ebay bidder dumb enough to pay atleast original value for the thing. This would truely be a new low for the computing industry. Even motorola is pretty good about making different products that come out in a generation pretty similar.

13. mrtune macrumors 6502a

No you won't. If a new iphone comes out, you'll be able to buy it and activate it with a fresh contract of another 2 years. No penalty for breaking the current contract if you're already a customer. That's how it is on the rest of their phones.

14. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

actually I found that out by asking at the store when I purchased the thing so yes there is a fee 175 to keep the phone and about 40 dollars to return it within the first month. That said why bother making it only avail on a two year contract if they are going to rely on you worming your way out of it for the next phone or rather the process of doing so being so easy that they can save face. Seems like a big waste of time. Something I doubt any business profesional would do.

15. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Which store gave you this info? apple or att?

16. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

17. bretm macrumors 68000

Correct. $175 to break your ATT contract (and keep your phone of course - duh, it's not rented, you BOUGHT the thing)

And $40 to return it to Apple within 30 days. That's the restocking fee. They give you 30 days trial basically on the contract.

You can always buy another phone. They want you to do this. Actually, on SUBSIDIZED phones they only allow you to get the discounted price every 12 months usually. But if you want to pay full price for a phone (iphone) then feel free. They'll make you sign another 2 year contract on the subsidized phones, and they may try to trick you into doing that for an unsubsidized phone but there's no reason to even do that. You've signed up on the contract already. You've paid full price for a phone. If you want to pay full price for another they don't give a damn. More money in their pocket.

The phone and the contract are 2 different items completely. You can buy the phone without any contract if you like. It'll cost $400 and will be a nifty paperweight. (Actually, you can make it be an ipod and do wifi - but you might as well buy a touch now).

18. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Now I'm a little confused. Are your refering to outright breaking out of the contract and selling phone? For that, yes, a contract cancellation fee will be required as you are no longer going to be using att.

As far as iPhone 2 is concerned (or any of the other ATT phones for that matter), they won't penalize their current subscribers looking to upgrade their phone with a $175 contract cancellation fee. They'll simply force a contract extension, that's all (this is assuming you're willing to pay full price, which we already do with the iPhone).

19. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

You know what? I paid for this iPhone, and if they give me software updates and new features (for free) even if they make a new iPhone, I won't mind. As long as I get the same features as the new one in terms of software.

20. SRSound macrumors 6502

AGREED

21. wizard macrumors 68040

I would hope so if they expect to stay in the cell phone business. But my expectations don't mean much because we have already been told by the power that be that a 3G iPhone is due for the middle of next year.
    No it wouldn't. That line above does highlight a problem with your perception of the world though.

Look at it this way I have an old AMD based system on my desk that I run Linux on. Far from being state of the art. That doesn't keep me from getting good use out of it even if I have to repair it from time to time (power supply this weekend). In any event I've updated a couple of times from Fedora and now ubuntu and none of those updates have been worthless.
    That is a highly negative attitude to have. How in the hell could they be screwing you when they are selling one of the best smart cell phones on the market? It is your decision to buy you know.

It is simply part of the way the electronics industry works. They heavy competition means that manufactures playing in this segment of the market have no choice but to keep their products leading edge. Leading edge only lasts about 6 months.
    Apple needs to get a 3G phone out as soon as possilbe, that could mean the current iPhone goes by by or simply gets updated. I'm really hoping that Apple goes with a new larger form factor myself and keeps the current iPhone as an EDGE device.

Edge is an absolute requirement, almost everyone agrees with that. What may surprise you though is that Apple may have bigger plans for the Cell market maybe even a phone that isn't so smart. In the long run it will be very hard for Apple to be taken seriously in the Cell world if they only have a single horse in the running. So I expect to see a NANO like cell phone, an upgraded iPhone and possibly the 3G phone next year. Unfortunately that only thing that has been confirmed coming is a 3G version. Even there we don't know exactly what it will be, that is the same form factor or a different case.

In any event simply realize that if you aren't ready for the risk don't buy now. I haven't purchase myself, but I see the risk not in the hardware but in the software. I will buy when the software supports the things I need.

Dave

22. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Fair comment that.

I got the iPhone on launch because I can afford to take the risk. I also can afford to upgrade when the hardware update comes. I'll be happy if that comes in 6 months too (ok, so my contract will go to 18 months again but I'll be able to upgrade easily). If the risk with high technology is too high then don't do it, buy affordable tech - it is out there.

Apple isn't screwing anyone over. The mobile phone business is like the computer business - change happens. These bits of hardware are not "investments". They are tools to be used. When they stop being suitable for the job buy a new one. When a new improved iPhone comes out the older model will still work.

23. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

True I agree that 3g would be great for the iphone and really its not something that would cause me to get all angry at a new iteration of the new iphone product line. What would drive me up a wall is if the 3g iphone gets mms and the current iphone does not.

Basically I am affraid that like most of the i<insert protable product> updates tend to not actually add worth while new features. Example my G2 ipod nano does not get video.

That being said I have an old powerbook g4 titanium series which can run os:x 10.5 which is something I hope they would continue for the iphone after them making a point of it running a custome edition of OS:X.

Really I just don't want to see a new iPhone that is anything other than faster or having new hardware.

Things I would hate to see on the iphone2 that would not be avail to the current gen
    • mms
    • sfari flash
    • disc mode
    • mail.app sync that is worth the time it takes to sync
    • the ability to buy video from the itunes store

Basically anything that is primarily a software issue should be backwards compat since the iphone is so clearly expandable

things I could live with

• video capture camera (The current camera could not achive this if it tried)
    • Card expansion slots
    • more meory
    • more colors
    • different form factor
    • keyboard (some how i doubt this is even being considered)
    • 3g support
    • EVDO support
    • price drop (I am a PS3 owner from release date and i have gotten over that)

and being able to use the itunes store when on edge/3g/evdo that is a big iffy.

24. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Most likely the iPhone will see a 3g hardware refresh, but with the amount of first-gen iphones sold they'll continue to update it probably with concurrent updates for now. Think about it this way: if they keep the software the same for both phones, or mostly the same, it's that much less work to support both generations. They are trying to build a long-term mobile OS in a fast moving, quickly updated cell phone market. So they have to update every year or so, but they still need to maintain a user base. I doubt they'll leave out us first gen people right away, because it means they're doubling their work in addition to pissing off customers.

25. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

I fully agree with you there and this goes right along with what I am trying to say should not happen.

Basically this. New iPhones will be out with better hardware however I doubt that any new iPhones will sport enhancements that will be either unavail or ground breaking in comparison to the current gen