iPhone Market Share Graph

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ixodes, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Here's an interesting graph and related article I came across:

[​IMG]

"These figures show that Android's smartphone market share overtook the iPhone, 7 quarters after its release.

While this pattern is important, it is even more important to understand the reasons behind this. Most analysts look at smartphones and tablets exclusively from the perspective of the US market. "

source:http://goo.gl/otpF1

Enjoy :)

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Too bad is android is a race to the bottom or it might have it where it counts

[​IMG]

3. articulatefool macrumors regular

Translation?

4. hot spare macrumors 6502

I would rather love a company which takes less money **from me**

5. Technarchy, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

An army of junk phones and 3rd world specials can't compete with the metrics that are most important.

Profit, usage, customer satisfation, repeat customer, developer support.

Android is more than welcome to win the game of most crap phones sold. Apple isn't playing that game anyway.

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

No one "takes" anything from you.

7. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Apple makes 75% of the profit from a 9% market share. Impressive, no?

8. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

That Android has flooded the market with many third rate products? Don't forget that the first graph doesn't not only include the top-tier Android phones but ALL Android devices, even the POS ones that sell simply because they're cheap.

----------

Because Google, Samsung et al. are non-profit charity organizations? Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

9. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

This is same as PC vs. Mac. The PC model is distributed across many vendors and is open which allows greater commodization. Same with Android. This model is GOOD for the customer.

The Apple model of being centralized and closed is BAD for the customer. Yes, the Apple model is more profitable but that only benefits the shareholder. You can argue that Apple is ahead on user experience and ease of use but as we saw with Windows, that advantage goes away over time.

As a customer, I like when there is competition and prices drop over time. I only hope Apple has learned the lesson of the PC wars and not make the same mistake again.

10. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

You are assuming the apple customer receives no value for the higher price. I would disagree with that. Personally, I think I got good value for the aPple products I have purchased over time. The only time I have to waste fixing cmputer issues is on wife's pc.

If apple weren't providing value in the long run, they couldn't maintain profitability. Only profitable companies can afford to innovate year after year.

11. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Completely agree. In fact, Apple's model produces better products that can command higher prices during the early part of the innovation cycle. They actually "invent" the market.

The problem is that innovation invariably slows down as time passes until the next big thing. We've already seen this with each new iPhone and iOS release.

Then the commodity players (Google, Samsung, HTC, etc.) catch up and begin to chip away at the innovator's market share and profit margins.

This is capitalism at its finest.

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

Check this article -

13. Azzin macrumors 68040

Here in the UK, you could get a Galaxy S3 for FREE on a 2 year contract *from launch day*.

The reason I mention this, is that I don't ever recall that being the case for an iPhone (normally a couple of hundred £s from memory).

Does that indicate that the S3 is less desirable than the iPhone 4S was at launch, as they have to give them away to get contracts?

I'm using the S3 & the 4s as examples here, as I would class them as peers in that they are both flagship handsets for Samsung & Apple.

I don't really get involved in the whole Android/iOS thing, but sometimes its necessary to compare like for like.

Apple have 3 smartphones available currently (to buy new) that run iOS (3GS/4/4S), but there are obviously many more Android handsets (at hugely varying prices), which I think sometimes blurs/distorts the waters a little.

It would be interesting to see 4S sales figures from launch, directly compared to the S3 for however long that has been out (I have no idea what they are BTW), as I think that would show a fairer comparison (and I'm talking actual units "sold to customers" and not shipped to retailers).

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's a ridiculously skewed article. It glosses over the astounding numbers that show apple bucking overall global recession trends and still having the important increases (year-over-year). Sequential quarter comparisons are almost, though not entirely, irrelevant. I don't know who published that article as you provided no citation, but it smells like one writer (In a long, loooooong line of writers) who wants to be the one who calls "First!" for Apple's downfall.

----------

Ok....so 70+phones (many of which were/are free or almost free) managed to grab a higher market share than a premium line of 4-5 phones.

Congratulations???

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I agree those charts are very misleading b.c you are talking about apple who releases 1 iphone a year vs android who releases a ton a year. If you want to compare apple's to apple's, compare just the 4S to the nexus or even a new model.

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The iPhone 4 and 4S were both available free on contract on their launch days.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In the UK? 'Cause they sure weren't in the States, and if so, maybe I ought to move. Not this summer though, too many tourists. :)

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My 4 wasn't free on the 4S's launch day.

19. cynics macrumors G4

Of course Apple has higher profit, they have a 40% profit margin. It's incredible they can pull it off considering its a mass produced electronic device made in China (or where ever), not some rare hand crafted product.

I read an article that I can't find now mentioning the S3 was actually more expensive to produce vs the 4S but sold for less due to a reasonable profit margin. Obviously popularity drives this too, and as long as the iPhone is as popular as it is Apple will continually stick it too the consumer.

It's pretty apparent though just comparing the prices of the new iPad to the 4S. Logic dictates the more sophisticated iPad (enormous battery, huge retina display, processor, etc) should be more expensive. I couldn't see myself paying full price for an iPhone because of this, subsidized however I don't have an issue with. :)

20. kdarling, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The 3GS has been $0.99 since last November in the US, and reportedly is a top seller. The next level up is only $99 for the iPhone 4.

Overseas, the iPhone has been available for free or amost free in many countries. Heck, it didn't even catch on in Japan until it was free on contract.

However, it's true that outside of contracts, low priced Android phones outsell iPhones in many countries.

21. Azzin macrumors 68040

Looking at that link, the only one to offer it for free was 3-but only on a £43 per month tariff.

3 are (and have been since launch) offering a free SIII on the £34 tariff.

To get the 4S on that same tariff, will still cost you £49 for the handset and we're what, 9 months on from the original release date of the 4S?

I still feel that like for like, the 4S is outselling the SIII.

If it wasn't as in demand as it clearly is, they would have to give it away for free....

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

From my link...

23. Azzin macrumors 68040

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

The point I should have made was those cheaper tariffs offer very poor vale for money in terms of minutes/texts and to get the tariff you would most probably want would mean paying much more cash.

For example, in the UK currently you can get an S3 for free from 3, on a £34 per month tariff that gives you 2000 minutes, unlimited texts, 5000 3 to 3 minutes, unlimited data (with tethering included).

Now I don't think for one moment that the 4S was available for free on a tariff like that.

I haven't looked deeply into the tariffs you linked to, but I doubt very much that they would have given you the 4S for free (or only an extra £9 per month compared to the same tariff in it's SIM Only form).

So you can effectively get an S3 from 3 by paying an extra £108 per year (£216 over the 2 year contract) over the same tariff on a SIM Only deal.

I don't think that has happened/will happen with the 4S/new iPhone.

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I was simply replying to your statement that an iPhone wasn't available for free on launch day in the UK when it clearly was. ;)

In comparison to that 3S deal, the iPhone 4S is only £49 on the same tariff so there isn't that big a difference between the two.

25. Azzin macrumors 68040

Except the 4S is what, 9 months old now? ;)