All iPads iPhone + MBA, iPad needed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AndyPhamVN, Apr 27, 2013.

?

If one has iPhone and MacBook Air, is iPad a necessity?

1. Yes, for its mobility and entertainment values

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. No, iPhone and MBA can do what iPad does

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  1. AndyPhamVN macrumors newbie

Granted that one has iPhone and MacBook Air, is there really a necessity to buy an iPad?

2. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Nobody really needs an iPad, but I have all 3 of those devices anyway. I use them all.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I voted Yes, but I agree with poster above that no one *needs* an iPad -- but it's an incredibly handy and enjoyable device to have. If you have an iPhone and a MBA, then the iPad doesn't do anything that is not covered by those two devices. But for some things, the iPad is just a lot better than the iPhone or MBA. Like reading in bed. Watching movies on the go. Typing and editing short documents on the train. Etc.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

As always, it depends on what you do.

I have all 3 (plus a 27" iMac). Macbook for portable computing, iphone for all the misc stuff while on the move, and ipad for my iphone stuff when I get to sit down. :)

5. Isamilis macrumors 6502

No need at all. I left my iPad and used only for my kids (games). The bigger iPhone's screen the less compelling reason for having the iPad (assuming you already had MBA).

6. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I have an iPod, MBA, and iPad 3 currently and I find the iPad nice to:

1) Read books
    2) Play games
    3) Take notes
    4) Browse the web on sites that aren't 'heavy'. Examples of sites include MacRumors.com, NFL.com, and CNN.com
    5) Check my Email (I don't know why, I just prefer checking my email on the iPad over a computer I am currently using...)

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have ipad 2, iphone 4s, and rMBP so it depends on what I need to do…like if I plan to spend a night at friend or long commute trip I would bring my iPad or go to starbuck/public library i take rMBP with me. iPhone always go with me all the times to check for email/text/take photo. :apple:

8. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I have all 3 plus a 27" iMac.

iPhone- calling, texting some games
    iPad- Internet surfing, apps, school work
    MacBook Air - dj'ing, and occasionally school work.
    iMac- music production, gaming, Internet, movies, and its my media hub along with iTunes Match.

As long as you use a device I say go for it!

9. Cody3133 macrumors member

No, enjoy other devices and give them a try. Having diversity is good. No point in having 3 similar things :)

10. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

^^this: I take all three to work with me most days because each serves a different purpose: my iPhone 4s is essentially a phone, however for quick email check/texting while at red lights/stuck in traffic, priceless. My iPad is for email checks at my desk, and light personal web surfing, and my 11" MBA is used for Photoshop, iPhoto, and Internet during my lunch hour.

I don't "need" all three devices --- won't pretend that I do, and could get along just fine with either an iPhone or an iPad, but it is nice to have them at my disposal.

11. LeeM macrumors 6502a

its nice to have apps on a bigger screen. angry birds is more fun on the ipad than phone, i know you can get it on mac as well but its still better on touchscreen

12. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I said no. Coming from a person that has an iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and two MacBook Pro's, having an iPad definitely isn't a necessity. It is very nice to have one for many uses, but by no means a necessity.

13. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I use my iPad as a secondary monitor for my Macbook, it's perfect for Photoshop and productivity, not having to switch between windows and such.

14. kaielement macrumors 65816

Before my MacBook Air and iPad was stolen I only used my MacBook Air for heavy lifting and managing my media across my iPod iPhone and iPad. But now that it is gone I use my new iPad way more because it is a lot easier to carry around then my old 13" white MacBook. lol

15. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

My iPad mini fits perfectly in the middle of my Air & iPhone. That said, I use both the Air & iPhone much less now. The "heavy stuff" I am doing on the Air, gaming went from iPhone to iPad mini and I use it to browse the web 99% of the time.

16. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Touch screen games/video editing

Based on how the kids use the iPad, the only reason is for the games and quick video editing.

While these can be done on the iPhone, they prefer the iPad.