Iphone Messenger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sergiuria, Oct 27, 2008.

1. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I haven't read anything about this. So here it goes

Isn't there a way to create a network of iphone users, so you could IM them, or an app, or has Apple ever pronounced something like this (I used to own a BB and love the BB Messenger)??

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

iPhones are more hip and cooler then those old foggy Crackberries.
    We use modern things like twitter (granted its now on the US Gov`t terror watch list), Facebook, myspace or even AIM/some other IM tool or even eMail to talk to each other. Some times we go retro w/SMS ;)

/end sarcasm

I know of exactly ZERO BB users that use the BB Messenger system. They just send 50 emails :rolleyes: instead of making 1 2minute phone call.

3. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Almost every person I know b/w the ages of 15-35 have gotten a blackberry more for BBM than for the business purpose. Over the last 4 yers BBM is the REASON the blackberry has become so popular for people who are NOT involved in the business world. The sole reason I had for not wanting to leave my blackberry when I made the switch was b/c I would lose this feature. I had 75 BBM friends who are all pissed that they have to go back to texting me now. BBM is really easy to use (you have a buddy list like any IM program), you can see if your message was delivered, and you can see if the message was read. An iPhone app that could do something similar would be a HUGE success IMO.

4. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I had a big number of contacts, and loved the fact that is was based like IM, it was fast, easy and cool. I'd love for something like that on an Iphone

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Blackberry Messenger is a fantastic app and anyone who says otherwise has never used it.

All the more reason that they should make iChat for the iPhone! Free us from text message fees!

6. ChocoboNL macrumors member

But, if it's so great because it's like IM'ing.. Why not really use an IM-program. I use Palringo myself, and I'm loving it. :) I can send pictures, voiceclips and regular text. If only it could run on the background~
    Ohh, and I never used BBM, or even owned a BB. So I wouldn't know why it's such an awesom app ofcourse.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Jailbrake + insomia + Backgrounder = perma IM client BUT dead battery in a couple few hours :p

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

The problem with 3rd party IM clients is that it requires you too sign up for whatever service you're using and for anyone you want to chat with.

With the blackberry, all you need is the phone. Each phone has a unique id which is what you use to setup people in your contact list. Plus it supports automatic delivery and read confirmations. A big plus.

9. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

This is not the same at all. This requires the person to be signed into an IM client. Most people who are away from their computers do not stay on the client using a cell phone. The difference w/ BB Messenger is that anybody who owns a blackberry is always logged in and you just need to know their PIN or email address. Once you add them to your buddy list you can contact them whenever you want (unless they block you or deliberately make themselves unavailable which nobody ever does). This is what makes it much better than using traditional IM.