iPhone Metadata Bug: Sign the Petition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by celavato, Sep 20, 2008.

1. celavato macrumors regular

If you use smart playlists or care about having accurate metadata (play count, last played) in iTunes, please sign this petition to draw attention to the metadata bug in iPhone 2.0, 2.01, 2.02, and 2.1.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/iphonemetadata/

2. Mac Sux macrumors newbie

BIG FRIKKEN DEAL! apple should fix more important bugs before fixing something so trivial

also, waste of time anyways, online petitions = lol

3. celavato thread starter macrumors regular

The next time you insult someone online try to spell your expletive correctly. Punctuation might help your cause as well. But mostly, you might want to articulate your argument. Which bugs are more important other than Safari crashing, and why do you believe Apple cannot address multiple bugs in the next update?

This issue is important not only for those who use smart playlists and want accurate statistics in iTunes, but also for everyone who uses Genius. No less an authority than Steve Jobs listed "play count" as one of the data points that Genius uses to create playlists. If the plays of millions of songs are not counted across the iPhone universe, Genius may not work as well.

So sign the frickin petition, please.

4. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I don't seem to suffer from that bug.

Play Count and Last time played works for me. On a Mac.

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I thought FRIKKEN was a metal band.

7. celavato thread starter macrumors regular

The bug only occurs when you use smart playlists. The workaround is to create a smart playlist, drag the songs into a regular playlist, and play the regular playlist.

8. celavato thread starter macrumors regular

So noted. In my defense, I prefer real expletives. This one always struck me as fake, watered down.

9. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I want them to fix the bug, but im not sure if a petition is the easiest way to fix something so small, but I may be wrong so ill sign anyway

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I always have a "to rate" smart playlist for anything I have yet to rate in iTunes. When playing this playlist, oftentimes I will hear a repeat that has already been rated and yet did not get removed from the playlist.

11. pooryou macrumors 65816

I played a song earlier in my iPhone (2.1 on a 1st gen) from a Smart Playlist, synced to iTunes, and now the Last Played date is correct for the time I played the song. I don't know if the play count is correct because I don't know what it was before, but I have no reason to think it's wrong since the Last Played Date is correct. I even scrobbled it to Last.FM.

Now if you were saying you wanted Smart Playlists to update in real time on the iPhone, I could totally get behind that. I don't seem to be experiencing the bug you describe though.

12. celavato thread starter macrumors regular

That test usually works. Next time try using other apps on your iPhone before syncing. At some point, the iPhone loses the data. There are certainly enough of us experiencing the problem that it exists. I played a smart playlist in my car a few days ago. I can't remember if I used any other apps -- maybe Mail. When I synced, nothing got transferred back to iTunes.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I don't think you've addressed the crux of the concern from the naysayers in this thread though: that online petitions aren't exactly the best way to get attention, especially seeing that most of your signers so far only have first names, are "Anonymous" or put in comments like "Please fix this!!!@!"

What DOES help is sending the feedback directly to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Getting enough people to submit a bug report through the above form will likely be more effective.

14. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

i use smart playlists almost all the time and now have begun to love genius playlists, but they aren't so intellectual if i have to copy into a regular playist...not so smart now, are ya?

i did put feedback on apple.com and i encourage everyone here to so the same, on whatever your problem may be. i find myself on there at least once a week. hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

15. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I agree, it needs to get fixed. I find smart playlists the easiest way to manage a large library by far. I just make a smart playlist with all 3,4,5 star rated songs as my "mobile" playlist and keep it with me that way.

A helluva lot easier than manually managing a 40GB music library.

16. roccoict macrumors newbie

This isn't only with "smart" playlists. My manually-made playlist didn't register nearly all of the songs that I listened to today.

17. celavato thread starter macrumors regular

The petition is a device around which a writer can build a story. I was hoping it would catch the attention of John Gruber whose blog is read by the iPhone team (he has a mole deep inside the team). Gruber didn't bite. I should have also posted the feedback link. Thank you for doing so. I too submitted feedback when I first became aware of this bug, but I Have doubts about how often that feedback makes its way back to the managers and in what form.

There is one champion of smart playlists who has Apple's ear -- Andy Ihnatko who devotes a portion of his iPhone books to the topic.

Basically, we need an advocate, but don't have one yet. Need I remind you that it took Apple months after the release of the iPod touch to fix the calendar entry bug (you could not add/edit an event on the touch) -- and that bug was widely discussed. Don't assume Apple will fix the metadata bug quickly or maybe at all in 2.x -- unless someone with influence makes a big stink about it.