iPhone mic and speaker not working in normal mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sanjaygoel, Dec 16, 2007.

1. sanjaygoel macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have suddenly got this strange problem with my iPhone firmware 1.1.1.
    When I make/receive a call, I can't hear the other person neither can the other person hear me in the normal mode. But when I switch on the speakerphone, it works for both sides.
    Now when I play a song on the iPhone speakerphone, I can't hear any sound. But when I plug the headphones, the sound is fine.
    Nothing happened with the phone. i was working perfectly till yesterday. I am in India so can't go to the Apple Store.
    I have tried restarting the phone many times and also resetting the settings.
    Anyways has any ideas?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

try going to settings and selecting sounds then ringtones
    choose your ringtone. can you hear it??

i had the exact problem your having, except ringtones would play from the settings menu
    it sorted itself out, a reset etc didnt fix it...

3. sanjaygoel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    I can listen to the ringtones from the settings menu myself.

Please tell me how it got sorted out, I have even tried firmware restore but it still doesn't work.

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

i have no idea, mine sorted itself out 2 hours later
    i tried rebooting, removing sim, nothing fixed it
    then it just started working again

im sorry, i cant really say anymore to help

5. sanjaygoel thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it. Its a very strange bug. Sometimes when you are listening to songs on headphones, and then u take out headphone slowly, the iPhone still sends output to the headphones, even though the headphone is already taken out.

The solution is put the headphones partially in and move it around until it works.

Thanks for the input :)

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

nice to know theres a way to fix it if it happens again
    glad you sorted it
    i was so annoyed when it happened to me!!!

7. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

same problem here

I've restored the iphone etc, but nothing seemed to help.
    I'll try this..

8. Vibe69 macrumors newbie

This has happened to me two times. The first time I by chance fixed it by putting the headphones in & taking them out unitl it happened to fix it.

HOWEVER the second time I did a little research and found this little diamond in the rough!!!!

http://www.luckow.com/iphone/

It turns out that the problem comes from dust/dirt randomly settling inside the headphone jack. Eventually something will get in there. When you plug your eadphones in after this happens, you are shoving the dust/dirt in there tight and sometimes it will end up in the right spot and short some connection inside there. The genius repair solution is in the above link.

This has fixed the problem for 95% of people who have had the problem & tried this fix. And both times when it happened to me was right after using some headphones with it. So I'm pretty confident this is no longer a mystery!

Unfortunately, I don't see this as being a simple thing for Apple to solve this.

PS - [about the fix] I think it might not be good to leave any of the fuzz at all when u clip it because it may get lost in there too, but I've only done this once. Let me know what you think is the better way, guys so I know for next time because it's obviously going to happen again.

I will accept paypal as a thank you
    Just PM me and I'll send you an invoice

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

thanks for the link, me and sanjaygoel were PMing each other a bit about this, and discovered that by pluggin/unplugging headphones fixed this

probably moved the dirt around or something

WHAT? :)

10. johng1 macrumors newbie

iPhone speaker not working

Hi,

I just wanted to say that the speaker on my iPhone all of a sudden stopped working. I tried the suggestion to slightly unplug your earphones and move the plug around a little. This worked for me.

Thanks for the workaround,

John

11. YAKUP KAYA macrumors newbie

I-phone Normal Mode

Were you able to fix below problem..Please advise , as i`m in China and can`t go to the Apple Store as well.
    Actually, called apple-help for fixing the problem. They suggested to plug and unplug the earphones more than 10 times, but it didn`t work.

thanks in advance for your help.

12. dale0516 macrumors newbie

can i ask something?

where is the speaker and where is the microphone?
    only one of my speakers works and it is the left one.
    someone told me that the left one is the speaker and
    the right one is the microphone..
    is that true?? :confused:

13. prashant macrumors newbie

thankyou soo much

hey there,

I just wanted to thank you for putting me out of my misery and anxiety..I am a huge Mac fan and think their products are simply the best one can find anywhere and to find a problem with my iphone just got me feeling sheepish.. My mic wasn't working and i had no idea how to fix it..until along came a spider(you)..To think all it took was a cotton bud and some alcohol..incredible..i feel so relieved...considering that i am from india and have no warranty on my 'jailbroken' iphone..

So thanks a million..

love,
    Prashant.:):):):):):):):):)
    :apple:

14. pjohnkeane macrumors newbie

15. Craigriver macrumors newbie

My daughter's iPhone's microphone doesn't work - any suggestions?

I think it's because she's dropped it. She dropped it one time and it stopped working. Dropped it again and it began working. Now it's not working again, but the bluetooth headset works at least.

Any ideas?

16. rajankhanuja macrumors newbie

Facing the same issue

Sanjay,

I'm facing the same issue. I tried couple of checks that were suggest by you and other.

Please help me !!

17. WankerWeasel macrumors newbie

Just used a Q-Tip™ and a small bit of rubbing alcohol to clean my headphone jack. Fixed everything.

18. jersey macrumors regular

That solution, while it may work, may cause problems in the long run. When you take your phone into Apple for service, they use a tool to look in the headphone hole. They are looking at an area inside the hole that changes color if the unit has been in any type of liquid. If it shows evidence of liquid being in there, they will probably tell you they wont cover any service under warranty.

Just an FYI. YMMV.

19. Logik99 macrumors newbie

ive got a problem like this where i can hear ppl on the phone but they cant hear me unless i have the headphones plugged in then they can hear me fine. i live in canada so i dont have any apple stores. i dont know what to do. ive tried reseting all settings and holding down the home and sleep/wake button but nothing. any ideas or is my mic just screwed?

20. nathmurr macrumors newbie

i had exactly the same problem as has been described after going to the beach for the day, I thought it may have been water damage which had splashed it so I left it to dry for a few hours to no avail. After reading this thread I wiggled a cocktail stick in the headphone jack right down to the bottom and it worked straight after, must have been some sand stuck in the jack causing the problem. Poor design though, this is on the new 16gig iphone, I would have thought qualification testing would have involved some sort of sand blast test, maybe they dont do this in the commercial industry

21. abspandey macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. Microphone works when it feels like( i can hear the person i call but they cant hear me). Headphone works all the time. Have taken it to SINGTEL ( service provider in singapore) but strangely the problem never occurs when the technician checks it....am utterly disgusted....the phone is just 5 days old.....:mad:

22. mitpat92 macrumors newbie

Heres A Link

Here's A Link That May Help:

http://www.luckow.com/iphone/

23. tpesin macrumors newbie

Just had the problem where my mic stopped working for the second time (the first time it mysteriously resolved.) Based on what people suggested, I plugged in the headphones, made a call, and it worked. Took out the headphones and it still worked. Thanks!

24. jesmeralda macrumors newbie

:D
    To think all it took was a cotton tip and some alcohol.My phones out of warranty anyway so no loss to me.
    This site & people's feedback are great, it answered one of my first problems after buying my iphone on ebay, not coming with a manel...Where to put sim card. Thanks again