iPhone migration from Windows to Mac OS X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AthleticTrainer, Nov 16, 2007.

1. AthleticTrainer macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have an iPhone (of course), but when I bought it I set it up on a Windows PC.

Well, my question is: I bought a Macbook, and I want to be able to Sync my iPhone with the Macbook AND the Windows PC. When I hook up my iPhone to my Macbook for the first time, will it sync and copy all the files to the Macbook, or will it wipe it clean??

2. andresbore macrumors newbie

Hi. Did you ever get an answer to your question on how to move your iPhone from the XP box you used to register to a new Mac? I'm in the same boat now.

Thanks in advance

Andres

3. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You can connect your iTunes to your Store account on up to 5 computers if memory serves me correctly, so that would solve your problem of logging into the iTunes store. As far as contacts, calendars, etc goes, I'm not sure that you can copy them from your phone to your computer directly through iTunes, but if you had a MobileMe account you could sync everything quite easily (just be sure you know what you're doing, otherwise you might risk losing your stuff - so backup first!). Other than that, I don't know of any way to do it, so consider this a thread bump if nothing else.

4. andresbore macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Last night I found out that by just connecting the iPhone to the iMac, I could create a new backup within iTunes. Since the iPhone is updated, that was all I needed. Now my wife's iPhone is backed up on the iMac. I could also synchronize all stuff from the iPhone to the iMac, which is the computer she prefers. No more fighting with WPX :)

Regards,

Andres

5. adamfp01 macrumors newbie

Similar question

So, I got the iPhone 3G when I had a PC, and have now taken the full plunge and gotten a fantastic 24" iMac. My problem is that I am now not exactly sure how to sync... I lost my playlists in the transfer from PC to mac, but they needed cleaning up anyway, so that's fine. My issue is more with what to do about all of my downloaded apps. iTunes tells me that if I sync my apps, they will all be deleted from my iPhone... Is there a way to get them off first, or will the iTunes store recognize that I had previously downloaded apps, and just populate my iPhone on the re-sync? Any help would be great!

-Adam