Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
[mention]rambo47 [/mention]

Yea, they could add one more model to the line up which makes 5 iPhone models total if demand increases.

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
This year's 3nm processor is meant to bring some fairly decent upgrades in terms of power and efficiency. I mention this because Apple could take the Mini form factor and make it the new SE in the next 2-3 years. They won't do it now because the 13 Mini isn't that old, and they don't want to associate a "current" phone with the SE line. Another 2-3 years will give them more distance, and by then the 3nm chip will be old enough to put inside the SE Mini. That would go a long way in negating the short(ish) battery life of the 13 Mini.

I know a lot of people are going for bigger phones now, but I'll be sticking with my 13 Mini for as long as possible. I hardly ever watch videos or play games on my phone, so a bigger screen isn't necessary. And even though people say the 13 Mini battery life isn't good, I would say that it's totally fine for my purposes. I use a lot of public transportation and would rather have a phone that's easier to use with one hand.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
iPhone mini wasn't successful due to its poor battery

I don't think there's any evidence of that. I think too many people are obsessed with big displays because they spend a lot of time using their phone to access social media.

I love my 13 Mini, and the battery life isn't an issue for me. I wanted a phone that acts as a communicator when I need to communicate. I use my iPad for media consumption. I don't really do social media.

Yea, iPhone mini with PRO features sounds awesome but PRO iPhones are equipped with high-end features which draws more power than just basic models.

I would like the Pro cameras, I don't need the rest. The cameras don't take power if you're not using them, and I'm generally not.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I'm guessing we will see a new mini fairly soon but renamed as Iphone SE4, the bigger version will be called SE4 Max which will be the same formfactor as the iphone 13.

That way they can take the 13 series, just stick a USB-C port on it (to meet EU regulation 2024) and sell it again.

In fact, they do have to change all their devices to USB-C by the end of 2024 so it would make sense to update them to USB-C en relaunch them under a different name, such as the SE.

My guess of a product line at the end of 2024 is something the lines of...

iPhone SE4 (mini) (based on the iphone 13 mini)
iPhone SE4 max (based on the iphone 13)
IPhone 15 (regular size)
iPhone 16 (regular size, max)
iPhone 16 Pro (regular size, max)

I don't think they will update the old SE3 with USB-C and release it again.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
iPhone SE 4 rumored to launch in 2025 ONLY after the Apple’s in-house 5G modem will be ready.

If they have to launch a mini, it will be named as “iPhone (series no.) mini”.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I think the problem of bad sales could be just a bad marketing. iPhone 12 mini was sold, iirc, with the Pro Max, 1 month after the 12 and 12 pro released. And iPhone 13 mini received zero attention as it was to be dropped the next year. I think mini is a great device and all people around me is always surprised to see it, they were basically unaware of it. It's true that 12 battery is not very nice, but it's still a nice device. I think Apple should just try to release a Pro mini to see what happens.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iPhone SE received zero marketing, yet it sold. People will buy what they like regardless of advertising. It’s not as if Apple iPhone is an unknown brand.

Apple won’t make an SE from a mini. The SE is a mainstream, low-cost device, and something that has economies of scale. The mini never achieved that status.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Battery wasn’t the main issue. It’s was a poor value proposition for the regular consumer. Spend $100 more and you get a bigger screen? For most people it’s an easy decision go for bigger screen.

Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
What makes you think that the mini sold poorly purely based on the battery capacity?

I’d much more likely attribute it to a smaller screen when many folks are seeking larger screens (eg the “Plus” series).

That said, I think the mini will show up every few years (perhaps with a node shrink). While I like the form factor of the mini, I really need a Pro mini, though I don’t think we’re there yet engineering-wise.
If you need a Pro iPhone at a moderate size (although not compact), I think this might be our year. And the last chance*, with the 15 Pro. Let me explain.

This year’s iPhone 15 Pro will have slimmer bezels, but the screen will remain at the same size. That will shave off like 2 millimeters from the width and height. The width could reach 70mm down from the 71,5mm that we currently have. Maybe you will say “that’s not much” and I agree, but it is something, and if the 6.1” model was almost good to handle, I think now it will be good enough.

Then there’s the other factor, the weight. The weight of the mini is one of its strengths, and the Pro models with stainless steel have become too heavy to be used comfortably with just one hand. With the change to titanium as a material for the frame, I really, really expect this will be much more lightweight and, hopefully, reach the weight of the regular aluminum models.

If those two conditions meet, and Apple doesn’t charge an enormous price for it, I’m willing to give the 15 Pro a chance this Christmas.

(*) Why the last chance? Because all rumors point towards a bigger iPhone 16 lineup, especially on the Pro models that will start from the 6.3”, although I think the regular 16s will get slightly bigger as well.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The iPhone mini is effectively a rehash of the iPhone 4/5 strategy. We’ve all heard that story before.

Back then, Apple insisted nobody wanted phablets. Their idea was people would rather have a dedicated iPhone and iPad. Instead of selling only one device, Apple could sell two. Even Steve Jobs realized Samsung was right back then, hence the iPhone 6/Plus.

So it’s no surprise the iPhone mini failed. What’s changed since 2012? Are people spending less time with screens? Is there less online content available? Are most people asking for smaller phones?
I agree with you that previous screens were too small for the content we have nowadays, and I agree that a bigger screen looks nicer and it’s easier to read.

The problem isn’t the screen size, but the device size. There is a size limit (that will depend on the holding hand), above which it is necessary to employ the two hands to operate it, and in many situations this is not convenient. Some people with huge hands can even use bigger sizes with one hand, but most people have to do some sort of equilibrium with the smartphone to reach certain parts of the screen with one hand.

While iOS “reachability” feature does help, and it’s pretty convenient to trigger with the rear double tap accessibility feature, I still believe that the current 6.1” size is a bit over the perfect size for most hands. I’d say the ideal would be between 5.6” and 6”, being the 5.8” (the size of the iPhone X, XS and 11Pro) almost perfect.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
An iPhone 15 Pro mini would be dope af

But, as cool as it may sound, sadly it is physically unviable.
Have you seen the cameras island on the 6.1” Pro model? It barely fits, it takes almost the entire upper area of the phone. And if there are already complaints about the minis battery life, with a Pro mini would be even shorter, because the battery should be even smaller to fit all Pro elements (cameras, LIDAR, etc) inside a small chasis.

With this I don’t mean a smaller iPhone can’t be possible, but there have to be compromises because engineering. It is perfectly possible to have a regular iPhone (with fewer, smaller, decent cameras) in a 5.8” device, but as I said the space is limited and engineers -not us- need to figure it out. And maybe, as a result of lower sales, this is not worthy of the R&D from Apple.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I'll admit one of the weaknesses of both my 2016 iPhone SE and iPhone 13 mini is that both had battery lives that left something to be desired. I have no idea what those charts mean by "90h" or "73h". There's no way these devices could last 73 or 90 hours long. Even those other numbers like "11:56h" or "14:17h" are horribly optimistic. I don't have a 12, 14, 73, or 90-hour phone. This iPhone 13 mini is like a 6-hour Screen-On Time phone, and that's it, partner.
I guess battery length just never resonates with me... I just recharge for 10 - 15 minutes if it starts to run low. I also use low power mode a lot. But it certainly doesn't last all day.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
iPhone mini wasn't successful due to its poor battery backup. News of iPhone 15 significant battery capacity increase is circulating now. I hope apple could redesign iPhone mini with a much battery capacity now. Please apple, small screen fans are still out there!

Check the battery capacity of iPhone 15 line up below.
The iPhone mini phone is dead and won’t be coming back

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Apple could release a mini every 4-6 years if they wanted.

Sure they could, the problem is they would not want to after the disappointing sales of mini 12 and 13.

The customers have spoken by choosing larger phones, so if you are really passionate about a mini you could still get a 13 mini while you can.

You can also lobby Apple with a bunch of friends to come up with another sub-6.1” iPhone here, which has much more chance of being looked into by Apple than posting here:

Reactions: badarihp

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Sure they could, the problem is they would not want to after the disappointing sales of mini 12 and 13.

The customers have spoken by choosing larger phones, so if you are really passionate about a mini you could still get a 13 mini while you can.

You can also lobby Apple with a bunch of friends to come up with another sub-6.1” iPhone here, which has much more chance of being looked into by Apple than posting here:

I would not go back to a small screen too. I use my phone mostly not as a phone but as a computer so my main interface is the display. For me it makes no sense to have a small display. When phoning I prefer to use my airpods.
But I know there are people who are phoning a lot and use the iphone mainly as a phone. For those it makes sense to have a small device.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
[mention]one more [/mention]

Let us raise the demand for a new mini from now on. We may see it in 2 years. Write all you can that really should make sense to Apple.

• Haha
Reactions: kitKAC

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Next iPhone SE screen size has been increased to 6.1”. It’s too big compared to 5.4” mini.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Another random thing to remember.... Those that love that from factor have an iphone mini 13. Keep it running for another lets say 2 years (maybe replace battery). Who knows what Apple will have cooked up by then? I think it will be longer but at some point there might be a foldable or we all use the glasses or XYZ .

Tech is always moving forward. How long ago were "crackberry" addicts saying from my cold dead hands? None of them are around... I love my iPhone mini, hopefully Apple will figure something out that satisfies me when I'm feel I have to upgrade but there are people still out there happy with iPhone 8 ... Soo... Not sweating it now, I'll just enjoy my current phone and "worry" about the next one when it is time.

Philly

PS: I enjoy the escapism of these forums.... But as long as a form factor of a phone is a topic for us.. We are doing very well, so let us just enjoy our toys/life and not make ourselves more miserable just because we can. The world tries to that to us enough..

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I don't think there's any evidence of that. I think too many people are obsessed with big displays because they spend a lot of time using their phone to access social media.

I love my 13 Mini, and the battery life isn't an issue for me. I wanted a phone that acts as a communicator when I need to communicate. I use my iPad for media consumption. I don't really do social media.

I would like the Pro cameras, I don't need the rest. The cameras don't take power if you're not using them, and I'm generally not.
My 12 mini had terrible battery life. The 13 mini is great for my use case. Pro cameras would be great! Without them, and in the absence of a mini at all, I’ll be going “smallest iPhone with the best cameras”. Really hoping that doesn’t mean a Max…

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
iPhone SE received zero marketing, yet it sold. People will buy what they like regardless of advertising. It’s not as if Apple iPhone is an unknown brand.

Apple won’t make an SE from a mini. The SE is a mainstream, low-cost device, and something that has economies of scale. The mini never achieved that status.

The iPhone SE is a super-popular corporate phone. I don't know the overall numbers, but at the last three companies I worked for, the current iPhone SE was the only iPhone offered to employees.

Reactions: Andeddu

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
The Mini is very much alive, sitting in my dock next to my me and laughing and ringing at all naysayers here. Poor little 'things' who feel threatened by the Mini so they need to diss it of.

I'm not worried at all at this point. I got a new one last year, so my mini is vibrantly happy.
I haven't be thinking about it until today, but it have a really good snug fit in my bra for shorter moments between using it when I don't want to take out my wallet-case.

Long Live the Mini ♥️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.