iPhone Mirroring to Apple TV

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shanezam203, Nov 29, 2011.

1. shanezam203 macrumors member

Anyone else using the iPhone mirroring, it's pretty cool on the new 4s but doesn't work on the 1st iPad or iPhone 4??? :confused: Why can't it be done on previous iDevices?

AirPlay Mirroring

AirPlay Mirroring allows you to mirror the screen of your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 onto your TV via an AppleTV (2nd generation)."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :apple:S

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While it can be done on a jailbroken iPhone 4/iPad 1, it isn't up to Apple's standards. And Apple needs to be able to sell more of the newer devices.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Because apple likes to sell things like this and Siri as features of a new device rather than as an OS feature, as they make cash from selling devices and not OS updates.

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I love the idea of airplay mirroring however it doesnt work great. I have an N router (simultaneous 2.4 & 5Ghz) and mirroring doesnt work that great when the Apple TV is connected to either.

Even showing Google maps street view freezes so trying to play games like real racing 2 is pointless.

I may try hardwiring my Apple TV and see if that helps, but surely wireless on 5Ghz N (close to the router) should be sufficient.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Really? I'm planning to buy one soon. Reviews on YouTube says it's smooth.

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Maybe if your Apple TV is hardwired to the router it would perform better.

My setup is currently iPhone4S connects to my router wirelessly via N 2.4Ghz and my Apple TV connects via N 5Ghz. There is nothing else using the network so you would assume that airplay mirroring should run perfectly. Not so.

I haver tried switching the Apple TV to N 2.4Ghz to match the iPhone but it behaves in the same way.

I would imagine hardwiring the Apple TV would help a lot during mirroring as there would be one less wireless path to slow things down.

7. shanezam203 thread starter macrumors member

My iPhone 4 is jailbroken, do I need anything in Cydia to enable it?

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I tried playing asphalt 6 on it, and it skipped too much to play, other things worked fine though.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To enable display mirroring, just put the "display-mirroring true" key into your Springboard's device plist. This will enable mirroring via cable. Mirroring via AirPlay is still iPad 2 / iPhone 4S only.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How close?

That could be the problem. Put them at least 2 feet apart and see if that helps.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My ATV2 is hard wired and mirroring from both my iPad2 and my iPhone 4S works great (although I have not run games on it yet, I DID however play a 720p version of Avatar from my iPhone 4S and it looked great)...Love the mirroring feature...

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Well I just bought an Apple TV and it works smoothly. AirPlay mirroring is smooth, no problems at all. Maybe a problem with your connection?

13. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Damn guys, now i need to buy one of these things too.. i've been :apple:appleified! :(

14. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Well the features happened for every phone I remember back in windows mobile phones you will need to buy the new phone if you wanted the new OS most of the times, apple actually let's you have the 90% of it , and leaves the awesome 10% for the new device lol

Anyways I was planning on buying an apple tv but I'll just wait to see what they come out with next year

15. shanezam203 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, what is mirroring via cable to Apple TV?

16. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Something is wrong with your internet connection or wireless router. Mine works smoothly and perfectly on wireless. At these bandwidth requirements there should be next to no difference wireless or wired.

17. shanezam203 thread starter macrumors member

100% this can not be done on an iPad 1 or iPhone 4 (not the 4s) right?

Thanks,

Shane

18. melman101 macrumors 68030

He did not say via Apple TV. Plug display cable adapter into 30 pin dock connector and then directly into your tv. Mirroring via cable.

19. shanezam203 thread starter macrumors member

Got it thanks, not looking to do that right now...

20. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Mine works fantastically, I have my iPhone on my 2.4GHz band and my Apple TV on the 5GHz band and it works with zero lag. And this is with both of them fairly far away from the router.