Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistermet6269

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hello to all.
This is my first time on this forum.
I'm posting this to finally unleash my love/hate relationship with my iphone.
I purchased my iphone on June 29th, 2007. I was one of those idiots who waited on line for hours and hours to get one...mainly due to my obsessiveness with everything Apple.
Some of my problems with the iphone you might have already heard...but I promise there will be at least one item on my list that will make you say " oh yea, why isnt that on my phone."
Before I begin, let me just remind you that I think that the iphone is probably the greatest invention created in modern times and it is because of this, that I am so furious with most of the items on my list.

1-NO PICTURE MESSAGING
Are Apple and AT&T kidding me? How can the iphone be the best phone on
the market if it cant even do what every other phone in the world can do.
Please...I think my motorola star tac in 1997 was able to send picture messages...lol
2-NO VIDEO RECORDER
Again...every other phone in the world can do this.
3-NO ZOOM FOR THE CAMERA
4-NO BLUETOOTH FILE TRANSFERRING
For all you people who don't what this is...look it up...lol
5-NO LANDSCAPE KEYBOARD FOR TEXT MESSAGING AND EMAIL
Not everyone has the same size fingers...so it would be nice to have a nice wide keyboard to type in
6-NO REMOVABLE BATTERY
7-KEEPING YOU SIGNED IN TO APPS EVEN WHEN YOU EXIT FROM THEM
8-WAITED FOR A 2ND GENERATION TO ADD 3G
When the 1st iphone was released most of the iphone competitors already had 3g enabled. But what apple did was wait a year and make an uglier plastic version and the only difference was the 3g...crap
9-NO SLINGBOX CONNECTION
TV on your phone is the new technology that every blackberry or any other smart phone had for years
10-NO PRINTER SHARING
If you are able to view a word file you should be able to print a word file
Again...most blackberry phone have been able to do this...or stop advertising that you are a also a business phone..because your not

I also find it funny that on the app store, these 10 items have been mysteriously left out...hmmm I wonder why???

I can't wait to hear your responses!!!

sergiuria

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Near a bunch of T-Rex
Just wondering, if you are comparing it so much to a blackberry, and blackberry is always on top. Why do you still own an iPhone? apparently it is not the phone for you, and it doesn't meet your requirements.

mistermet6269

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
I understand that it is what it is...but don't advertise that you're the best phone in the world when you cant stand toe to toe with half of them.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Blatantly incorrect, regardless of topic.

Also, it can do video recording.

You can send pictures by e-mailing the phone number; it'll show up to them as an MMS.

There are digital zoom features.

Bluetooth can also be done with software.

Landscape? Apple's an idiot.

No iPod has a removable battery. People complained for the first model, then they shut up. We're on the second now. Give it a rest.

Signed into apps? Only Apple ones, and what's wrong with that?

Oh, so they waited a generation... they waited for battery life. Can you imagine what it would have been like had they given it to us straight off?

Apple doesn't like DVRs.

Where does it say on any BlackBerry spec sheet that it can do this?

Why have they been left out of the App Store? Because Apple will be adding them themselves.

Where does Apple, in any of its ads, say that the iPhone is the best phone in the world? They don't. People imply it. It's done in all advertising for every product ever. Deal with it. Bounty paper towels don't have bluetooth printing, and neither does Brawny.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
Wow, I just read like 3 of these types of threads. You had to have known about most of those issues prior to wasting your time in line. If I were you, I'd re-gift the iPhone and get yourself a blackberry.

Hoagie52

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
Even with all the limits to the iPhone it is still a amazing device. If you can't live without the things this phone can't do move on to another one there are plenty of phone to choose from.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
1-NO PICTURE MESSAGING
Please...I think my motorola star tac in 1997 was able to send picture messages...lol
2-NO VIDEO RECORDER
3-NO ZOOM FOR THE CAMERA
Not everyone has the same size fingers...so it would be nice to have a nice wide keyboard to type in
6-NO REMOVABLE BATTERY
When the 1st iphone was released most of the iphone competitors already had 3g enabled. But what apple did was wait a year and make an uglier plastic version and the only difference was the 3g...crap
9-NO SLINGBOX CONNECTION
TV on your phone is the new technology that every blackberry or any other smart phone had for years
10-NO PRINTER SHARING
Again...most blackberry phone have been able to do this...or stop advertising that you are a also a business phone..because your not

Sigh. One of these again...

First, every one of your "every other phone can" claims is false. Every single one. Don't make sweeping generalizations like that. You just come off as either mis-informed or exaggerating.

1) Easy solution: E-mail to MMS. Most (if not all) major US and UK carriers support this.

2) There are homebrew apps that do this, but IMHO it's not worth it. It's a phone, not a camcorder.

3) And? With a few exceptions, most other phones have digital zoom, the effect of which is the exact same as if you crop/enlarge the image in Photoshop. Doing this on the phone provides little to no advantage.

4) And? No, really... and? You can forward files that were e-mailed, and you can store files via WiFi (using one of the many apps.) There aren't that many scenarios in which this is irreplaceable...

5) I'll agree with you there. Still, not exactly a deal-breaker for most people.

6) And? No iPod's had a removable battery, and I've never replaced the battery on any phone that I've owned. Ever. Since my first phone in 1998.

7) Uh... what? Do you mean the four apps that remain running when not visible (MobileSafari, MobileDialer, MobileMail, and MobileMusicPlayer), or are you referring to something else?

8) This was done due to battery concerns. No, really -- you can put away the tin-foil hat -- it wasn't a conspiracy to get people to buy two phones. Up until late 2007, most 3G chipsets drained battery pretty severely. I'm sure Apple would love to have a flexible enough development process such that they could just spontaneously change hardware, but in the real world you have to solidify your hardware platform well in advance -- and during most of the iPhone's development, 3G was just not an option given the available battery technology. It came down to a choice of 3G or a reasonable battery life -- and Apple (IMHO rightly) figured that most people would prefer battery life.

9) Not "every other smartphone". Unless you define smartphones as "devices that have Slingbox support", in which case you'd be right. Most phones don't have this, as it turns out. Sure, it'd be cool, but it's not exactly a standard feature.

10) Let me get this straight... you're claiming that the iPhone isn't a business-ready phone because you can't print from your phone? Right. I'll just be real quiet, and give you some time to think about what you've said...

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
1-NO PICTURE MESSAGING
Maybe because you can send pictures through email (which is faster). Sure, not all the phones can receive email...but maybe Apple is starting something...if you wanted to get rid of MMS (not saying they are as there's no official statement) then you have to start somewhere. Email's better as it's faster and it's stored on a server as opposed to the phone itself in which you can lose easily.

Not every phone had MMS to begin with. But slowly they started coming out with phones with MMS and now almost every phone can do so...in order to take that out, you'd have to start removing it and replacing it with phones that are email capable.

2-NO VIDEO RECORDER
Actually, I know a lot of phones which can't. I'm sure the reason is because it's bad quality. The camera on the iPhone isn't the best for taking pictures...imagine the videos (which you can based on jailbroken apps).

3-NO ZOOM FOR THE CAMERA
I can think of even more phones which do not have zoom. And they all have digital zoom which is pretty much useless since it's equivelent to taking the picture without zooming, then using Photoshop to enlarge. You might get even better quality there (of course the one thing that's bad about this is that you can't send the picture right away after you take it...but this can easily be covered through AppStore, I believe).

This one I have to agree with. Though remember that there's no way to access or even put files on your phone (at least natively). And transferring ringtones is useless unless you're transferring to another iPhone since the ringtones are m4r which only the iPhone can read.

I don't know why this hasn't come yet. While I doubt you can use this point as an argument for "why iPhone isn't the best" as landscape keyboard doesn't make it the best or the worst, it definitely is a mishap. At the very least email is covered :p. And texting is if you are okay with sending it from a five digit number xD.

6-NO REMOVABLE BATTERY
I doubt the "best" cell phone would have a removable battery. This is one of the things that doesn't make the cell phone any higher in terms of being the best and doesn't make the cell phone any lower either. Nintendo DS doesn't have a removable battery (well, theoretically no as you can easily make it removable...but the screw suggests no) and some regard it as the "best" gaming handheld. While I have never heard of people removing their phone batteries to replace for a new one, I have heard of many people replacing gaming handheld batteries.

Besides, if you drop a phone with a removable battery, almost all of their battery flies out.

Mishap, yes. Prevents iPhone from being the best? I don't think so. I didn't know about push until WWDC. When I did, I knew it was the best way to keep apps "running in the background". While it doesn't cover all the apps, it covers the majority of them (and saves power that way). All they need is to add the ability to allow a small streaming connection and that will only leave a couple apps behind.

Of course you can always use backgrounder in jailbreaking...if Apple added background apps (which I doubt they will), backgrounder is how I hope they'll do it (and add a faint glow to the icons of applications which are running in the background).

This has nothing to do with the phone itself, rather the company (though I do find it ridiculous that they waited..."we've learned a lot from the first iPhone"...well, they should have already known about 3G even before the first generation)

9-NO SLINGBOX CONNECTION
Wait, how can it be new technology if they've had it for years :D. Yeah, TV would be nice. Isn't there an application that already does this? Orbit? Or is that for something else?

10-NO PRINTER SHARING
I think this is more of a preference, because if you really need to print, why not use the computer? It's not like you can print without being in some vicinity to a printer...or if you can, then it might not be as used.

While so far for me, there's no "best" phone in the world, I think that based on what you want, you should get a blackberry...or a g1 since that's open source.

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Since you already have an iPhone you have 2 choices:

1) Keep wishing for more features from Apple.

2) Jailbreak and get half of those things you're complaining about. You can get MMS with SwirlyMMS for $8 (let's not lie to ourselves, Emailing is not the same as sending an MMS). Cycorder for video recording. Snapture for zoom and more advanced camera features (either add supported or add free for $8). Several apps that let you do typing in landscape mode.

The iPhone is NOT a business phone, and won't be anytime soon. It does have some useful business features tho. While you can complain on forms, it would be far more useful to contact Apple and let them know what features they left out.

piot

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
I understand that it is what it is...but don't advertise that you're the best phone in the world when you cant stand toe to toe with half of them.

I understand that you are what you are... but don't advertise that you're just another disappointed consumer when what you really are... is a troll.

mistermet6269

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
-to ex8886: ishouldn't have to jailbreak my phone to get everyday geatures on my phone
-to Niiro13: i shlouldn't have to email a picture when all my freinds are picture messaging to each other and me with the supposed "God's gift to cell phones"
has to ask them" whats ur email address?"... My mothers free nokia that best buy offers has a video recorder and zoom for the camera...

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
let's not lie to ourselves, Emailing is not the same as sending an MMS

It depends. For me, it is. I've got the e-mail addresses of all my contacts phones (i.e. the e-mail to SMS gateway addresses), so if I want to send a picture via MMS, I just e-mail it to said address.

That said, I realize it's not exactly the same, and receiving them does require that the sender send them to your e-mail address (again, a simple process, considering that SMS/e-mail gateways are provided for free by most carriers).

Then again, most of my peers don't see a need for MMS -- it's a slow, expensive, and generally worthless way of sending media that (often) doesn't need to be sent in the first place.

dcubed20

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Hello to all.
I purchased my iphone on June 29th, 2007. I was one of those idiots who waited on line for hours and hours to get one...mainly due to my obsessiveness with everything Apple.
Some of my problems with the iphone you might have already heard...but I promise there will be at least one item on my list that will make you say " oh yea, why isnt that on my phone."
Before I begin, let me just remind you that I think that the iphone is probably the greatest invention created in modern times and it is because of this, that I am so furious with most of the items on my list.

1-NO PICTURE MESSAGING
2-NO VIDEO RECORDER
3-NO ZOOM FOR THE CAMERA
6-NO REMOVABLE BATTERY
9-NO SLINGBOX CONNECTION
10-NO PRINTER SHARING

I also find it funny that on the app store, these 10 items have been mysteriously left out...hmmm I wonder why???

You might not know it, but you are the first person ever to have these complaints. Now that I think about it, nobody has ever mentioned any of these problems before. I'm sure that the discussion that follows will be fruitful and enlightening for everyone.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
Did you know about these missing features when you purchased the phone?

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
It depends. For me, it is. I've got the e-mail addresses of all my contacts phones (i.e. the e-mail to SMS gateway addresses), so if I want to send a picture via MMS, I just e-mail it to said address.

That said, I realize it's not exactly the same, and receiving them does require that the sender send them to your e-mail address (again, a simple process, considering that SMS/e-mail gateways are provided for free by most carriers).

Then again, most of my peers don't see a need for MMS -- it's a slow, expensive, and generally worthless way of sending media that (often) doesn't need to be sent in the first place.

To be honest, I use MMS like 4 times a month. It's not a huge necessity, but I do want to have it. It's something that 95% of phones out there have. Sometimes someone sends me one, or there might be an occasion when I want to send one out.

There seem to be a couple of misconceptions about MMS. It's not THAT slow, it usually is received within a minute or two. And it's just as expensive as text messages (at least on messaging plans).

So something we could ALL agree on is that there should be an app in the App store! Those who want it, can install it. Those who don't, don't have to.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My mothers free nokia that best buy offers has a video recorder and zoom for the camera...

While everyone is out getting a clue, could you do me a favor and get one yourself. Does your mother's free phone have an ACTUAL zoom, or the digital zoom that many others have mentioned. Digital zoom serves no point whatsoever. None. Zero. It is not zoom, it is enlargement. It simply enlarges the image by scaling it, exact same as putting the photo in Photoshop and cropping it, then scaling it up. It looks like crap. So why not have the same quality with more in the picture?

It's like all those camcorders that have **755x digital zoom ZOMG!**. You can't even begin to make out what is on the screen, so what is the point?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As for the slingbox point, they're working on an app themselves. There's even a demo video on YouTube. Apparently it's supposedly in review at Apple now for release.

I have to agree with everyone else here, video recording pretty much sucks on camera phones these days and zoom on EVERY phone is garbage.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
The reason there is no bluetooth file sharing is because it opens up EVERYTHING to hackers (like it isn't already). But still, Apple is trying to make it harder for them to jailbreak and they want to do everything and anything possible to give them a hard time.

If you were working for Apple, you would agree with what I just said and how Apple probably feels about allowing files to be transferred via bluetooth.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
1) Easy solution: E-mail to MMS. Most (if not all) major US and UK carriers support this.

And this is where researching a product online fails

It does not work on the main carriers in the UK

Other posts in this thread also claim its as easy as sending an email, if this is a solution for every iPhone user then fair enough, but it isnt, so why do people constantly state it as fact that email is a replacement

If I was new to the iPhone and read this thread I would have the impression that I can use email to send a message to other phones and they would receive it as an MMS (Same with many threads here and also the main Apple forums)

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
The reason there is no bluetooth file sharing is because it opens up EVERYTHING to hackers (like it isn't already). But still, Apple is trying to make it harder for them to jailbreak and they want to do everything and anything possible to give them a hard time.

If you were working for Apple, you would agree with what I just said and how Apple probably feels about allowing files to be transferred via bluetooth.

How come every other phone has complete BT stack and they ain't hacked away? Or is the lack of BT just one more way for Apple to enforce that all input/output must be done with that itunes.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
And this is where researching a product online fails

It does not work on the main carriers in the UK

Other posts in this thread also claim its as easy as sending an email, if this is a solution for every iPhone user then fair enough, but it isnt, so why do people constantly state it as fact that email is a replacement

If I was new to the iPhone and read this thread I would have the impression that I can use email to send a message to other phones and they would receive it as an MMS (Same with many threads here and also the main Apple forums)

I live in the UK. All of the major carriers (Vodafone, Orange, O2, and T-Mobile) have e-mail/SMS gateways.

They don't advertise them (since they're essentially a free way to text), but they do exist.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I live in the UK. All of the major carriers (Vodafone, Orange, O2, and T-Mobile) have e-mail/SMS gateways.

They don't advertise them (since they're essentially a free way to text), but they do exist.

Can you post details? I've tried email-SMS quite a few times and never got it to work.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK

Can you share the info
I am in the uk and have been unable to get this working

Without having mms this would be handy

seill

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
Hello to all.

1-NO PICTURE MESSAGING
2-NO VIDEO RECORDER
3-NO ZOOM FOR THE CAMERA
6-NO REMOVABLE BATTERY
9-NO SLINGBOX CONNECTION
10-NO PRINTER SHARING

looking at all this points - well, if there are so many of them, probably iPhone isn't the best phone in the world..?

even apple isn't flawless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.